Force bees to abscond?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a wild colony in a tree nearby which are going to be exterminated due to proximity to the general public (they are actually from a swarm I lost last summer). I have read up extensively and it seems there is no way to remove them without butchering the tree, which is not an option.

Would it be possible to smoke them out and make them abscond? I was considering drilling a 1" hole in the tree and connecting this up to a constant source of thick smoke which will pass through the colony and hopefully this will drive the bees to gorge themselves and abandon the hive? And I would have a bait hive sitting ready for them to hopefully take up residence in.

The alternative is extermination, so I'm desperate to save them if it is at all possible.

From what I understand smoking is only likely to be a success if the colony has only just set up home. I guess it might be worth a try though if its the only option.

Who owns the tree? And who decided they needed killing?

Easiest way to save them is a bit of persuasion. Bees in a tree are less of a danger to the public than bees in a hive on the ground, so if your bees aren't a threat why should the tree ones need to go?

The other problem is who is doing the killing and how are they going to secure the nest so it doesn't poison your bees too?

Who owns the tree? And who decided they needed killing?

Easiest way to save them is a bit of persuasion. Bees in a tree are less of a danger to the public than bees in a hive on the ground, so if your bees aren't a threat why should the tree ones need to go?

The other problem is who is doing the killing and how are they going to secure the nest so it doesn't poison your bees too?

Says it all.

Chris

The tree is on the golf course where I work and is right on the edge of a busy fairway, the hole is 3 feet off the ground and we have already had complaints from golfers who were unable to retrieve their ball or play their shot close to the hole. So on health and safety grounds the bees must go.

So any ideas on how to get them out alive?

Says it all.

Chris

yes, all too common, i know of one high up in a tree but near where school yummy mummy's 4 wheel drives park to take their kidsthe 100yds from their house to the school

unfortunetaley the swarm was seen going in, lovely black ferral bee

i,ve got abusive phone calls becasue i wont kill it...."BUT YOUR A BEEKEEPER, you should know how dangerous they are, yes i do and they are not"

Chainsaw and 'cut out' ?

// Which admittedly does conflict with your statement that " it seems there is no way to remove them without butchering the tree, which is not an option."

Last edited:
Sent you a PM Rob

What about waiting for a warm patch and posting bee quick soaked rags in the hole? Bee quick is used to harmlessly clear supers.

The tree is on the golf course where I work and is right on the edge of a busy fairway, the hole is 3 feet off the ground and we have already had complaints from golfers who were unable to retrieve their ball or play their shot close to the hole. So ......

I'd cut out the golfers;)

It's really simple - there is no way to remove an existing colony without access to the comb and queen other than killing them, at best, (if that's the right word), you can play games and capture the foragers then kill the remaining bees and queen.

Chris

I'd cut out the golfers;)

Lol.
Another option would be to don long plastachrome gloves and manually remove the combs if you can get your hands on them, pop them in a box, leave the box by the hole and let the fliers join, then take it away in the evening hoping you have the queen and she's undamaged.
Edit: then use hivemakers trick of blocking the hole with expanding foam.

Last edited:
The tree is on the golf course where I work and is right on the edge of a busy fairway, the hole is 3 feet off the ground and we have already had complaints from golfers who were unable to retrieve their ball or play their shot close to the hole. So

......tell them to take lessons and improve their golf - don't hit your ball near the tree!! Bees obviously object to bad dress sense :D

A trap out might work, then tidy up as best you can after.

The tree is on the golf course where I work and is right on the edge of a busy fairway, the hole is 3 feet off the ground and we have already had complaints from golfers who were unable to retrieve their ball or play their shot close to the hole. So on health and safety grounds the bees must go.

Make it a feature of the hole, like a bunker or water, but the penalty is a sting in the ass rather than drop a shot. Being a golfer myself I would rather they moved some of those dammed annoying water features before they moved some bees.

if they are only 3feet off the ground what about trying to make some sort of tunnel up the outside of the tree so they could come out higher up?
Darren.

A trap out might work, then tidy up as best you can after.

As I said, "It's really simple - there is no way to remove an existing colony without access to the comb and queen other than killing them, at best, (if that's the right word), you can play games and capture the foragers then kill the remaining bees and queen." That's a trap out.

Chris

Make it a feature of the hole, like a bunker or water, but the penalty is a sting in the ass rather than drop a shot. Being a golfer myself I would rather they moved some of those dammed annoying water features before they moved some bees.

No question of a dropped shot.
Its supposed to be a free drop, on the nearest spot that is out of danger, but no nearer the hole.

Latest posts

Back