Foraging Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has no-one but me thought of the thermal gradients on a hill side / valley?
if the temp is just warm enough for flight at the hive, it'd be cooler below, and not suitable for flight.

Exactly and depending where the hill/mountain is could be cold or frosty at the bottom - hence advice to avoid putting hives in hollows, but mountains also have snow on top - so not too high either. Microclimate is important.

Re fully laden - it is not always easier to carry heavy loads downstairs than it is to carry them up.

Now putting my sensible head on:

OP could see if any serious research has been done about how bees behave with full loads. Last I read they return to the hive before being too fully loaded in the same way I give up shopping when the bags are heavy and I can't be bothered to walk around yet more shops while I am carrying them.

I assumed bees flew by creating a vortex to uplift them. Not sure but wouldnt that mean the bees energy use would be dependent on weight. Gravity is constant weather going up or downhill. Not sure thermals would help. Tiny surface area. Nothing to catch them Unless that is myth

Last edited:
Back