for the doubting thomas's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get crank's in all walk's of life we just have to filter them out on these forum's and ignore them.. being bullied as a child often has this effect on people and the best help they can get is blank them so they go play elsewhere..

The Holistic approach to life !

Yeghes da

If you think that your reply is going to discourage skeptics, I think you should be open and transparent. Being closed is a way to positively encourage doubters - you appear to have something to hide.

I have no interest in looking at some newly made clean plastic equipment out of a box, show it to me still functional after a month or two in contact with real live bees and I'd be interested, it wont happen though, FACT!

But to anyone who's invested in this waste of hydrocarbons(imho) I sincerely hope you have some fun with it and learn a bit more about bees before it ends up in the bin.

Lol. Hit new posts this minute and what do you get?
"Harvesting - But Granulated Honey In Comb"

Lol. Hit new posts this minute and what do you get?
"Harvesting - But Granulated Honey In Comb"

Someone over on the FH Forum complaining that they had to cough up £31 of VAT before they could get their hands on their flow frames.... FH didn't realise that VAT would be payable on entry ... nasty little surprise waiting in store for some people ... could be nearly £90 more to pay on a full set up ! Hope they are worth it ..

The key issue is hinted in the name. Flow. The beekeepers practice will need to change to ensure the viscosity of the honey in the frame is low enough. e.g.
More frequent havesting, so waiting for it to be capped may not be an option some circumstances.
Avoiding some types of forage ( which may be impossible).
The upside is the flowing is done at hive temperature.

just centiStoke'ing the fire :)

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cocktail-party-physics/an-ti-ci-pa-tion-the-physics-of-dripping-honey/

Last edited:
The key issue is hinted in the name. Flow. The beekeepers practice will need to change to ensure the viscosity of the honey in the frame is low enough. e.g.
More frequent havesting, so waiting for it to be capped may not be an option some circumstances.
Avoiding some types of forage ( which may be impossible).
The upside is the flowing is done at hive temperature.

just centiStoke'ing the fire :)

In a shed somewhere in deepest darkest Essex a boffin is probably working on a Flow's hive heater module at this very moment... our friends in China are standing by to steal the boffin's intellectual property!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

In a shed somewhere in deepest darkest Essex a boffin is probably working on a Flow's hive heater module at this very moment... our friends in China are standing by to steal the boffin's intellectual property!:hairpull:

Yeghes da

Lol.

Having watched a couple of this guy's videos, one thing they highlight was, IMO, the miss-selling of the flow hive/frame. Many people, as evidenced by the massive "investment", believe that this invention offers, literally, "honey on tap". As a non-beekeeper, I would have thought it was that easy - if anything would have stopped me it would have been the price.

I accept that there is some reference in the various FH literatures to managing bees, but it is glossed over, certainly not given enough emphasis when the majority of people will be already dreaming of delicious honey at the turn of a key. Even the summary of the Flow Hive Brood Check vid is skewed:

"Cedar takes her through some of the basics about beekeeping and hive health". .........."It's the beekeepers dream, turn a tap right on your beehive and watch pure fresh honey flow right out of your Flow™ hive and into your Jar! No mess no fuss and the bees are hardly disturbed"

Watch the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrRzp78NHcc&feature=player_detailpage and the only real piece of advice is to get in touch with your local "expert", (those are my quotes) "who will definitely tell you what you have to in order to keep your bees healthy".

My concern isn't so much whether the flow frame works or not - I suspect it will for some, in some parts of the world, and it won't for others - but that remains to be seen. It's for the survival of all those colonies that will be created to populate all these new flow hives for those who have committed to the dream...

I had thought about it, but I'm going to wait, I still need to buy a langstroth box for these and cut the access doors, plus adapt it to fit on a national, I also have a langstroth box and seven flow frames arriving between now and december for the langstroth I set up earlier in the year, the copied flow frames have already been made shorter to fit in a national brood box which I'll use as a super, even though the copies really are crap compared to the real thing, I'll give them a test and then review, and I have one more hive in the garden that'll get ross rounds used with it, hopefully next year will be better than this year has been, so far have not had any honey from the four garden hives, my woodland hives have given me around 60lb honey and that's from two 2yr old hives and six swarms collected this year

The best test would be to have the genuine frames and clone frames side by side in the same hive. Otherwise, as we know, for many reasons you can get wildly different results from otherwise identical hives next to each other in the same apiary.

Having watched a couple of this guy's videos, one thing they highlight was, IMO, the miss-selling of the flow hive/frame. Many people, as evidenced by the massive "investment", believe that this invention offers, literally, "honey on tap". As a non-beekeeper, I would have thought it was that easy - if anything would have stopped me it would have been the price.

It's already evident. There was a long letter on the flow forum from a chap who now has realised he has to "keep bees" and feels the whole concept was a cheat and he feels he was mis-sold some really expensive equipment.

dexters' shed has made a video of how the Chinese copy :nono: is full of faults but he says he has taken it down quote any foreign copiers...................... incase they used it to make a mk2 version

It's already evident. There was a long letter on the flow forum from a chap who now has realised he has to "keep bees" and feels the whole concept was a cheat and he feels he was mis-sold some really expensive equipment.

dexters' shed has made a video of how the Chinese copy :nono: is full of faults but he says he has taken it down quote any foreign copiers...................... incase they used it to make a mk2 version

Hmm Mis-selling - or rather ignoring problems is typical of almost everything from cars (official mpg for a start) to political parties.

And if I was paying £00s I would Do My Own Research.. Judging by the FlowHive forum extracts i read, there appear to be load of naive people who have been parted with their money with no knowledge of what beekeeping entails..

Sorry for appearing so unsympathetic. "There is one born every minute" is wrong.... "there are hundreds born every second" ... is more apposite.

Last edited:
Someone over on the FH Forum complaining that they had to cough up £31 of VAT before they could get their hands on their flow frames....

it's weird the way it works, the chinese ones via dhl didn't cost any extra import tax, the free ones I got did at £29, but cannot moan when the retail price of them was £170

This little video suggests the FH frames might need some adjustments?
Check out from about 7 minutes

that guy already quit the flow forum, he got upset when I said he was keeping bees wrongly,:icon_204-2:

Yeghes da

now there's an idea, I ain't called Dexter for nothing

Hopefully the slash and burn will start further south. Not that I have anything against southerners......

Back