Fondant in a Top Bar Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itchy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lost count and can't keep up
Where would you put it?

Where would you put it?

The usual way is to make some spacers (shaped like a T) so that you can create a bee space in the centre area in between some of the topbars ... then put the fondant on top of the bars in the usual manner. The bees will find their way up to the fondant if there is no (or little) honey left in the combs.

Sorry but I don’t think there is a usual way just a number of ways. I know some people fit spacers between the top bars but for me I don’t know how successful they are in removing them if they need to come this time of year.
Last year I gave a TBH nuc a big block of fondant inside a frame feeder positioned at one end of the box.

Fondant in a Top Bar Hive... Where would you put it?

Do you mean in summer?

Then how about this: Drill 7 mm holes into some of the top bars in such a way that the bees can crawl through it to the fondant that you just lie flat on the topbars. If you drill at an angle, you should be able to miss the comb without affecting the strength of the top bar too much. Not sure if you can do the drilling while the bees are in the hive.

Or do you mean in winter (when you suspect that they've run out of food stores)?

Then how about this (haven't actualy tried it): Make a "rod" of fondant that would fit between two combs, and then perform the action with two helpers whereby they lift two adjacent top bars just high enough for you to slide the fondant rod into the hive inbetween the two frames, very close to the top bar. You'd have to figure out a way to insert the rod of fondant quickly and smoothly (pushing it with a stiff rod, or pulling it through with a string, depending on how stiff the fondant is). You'll bother some bees (maybe even crush a few of them) but you'll lose less temperature than if you had separated the top bars.

Don't like the idea of bees coming up through the top bars. I made a frame feeder under a top bar with the sides constructed of plastic queen excluder to allow easy access. Seems to be working well so far!

Don't like the idea of bees coming up through the top bars. I made a frame feeder under a top bar with the sides constructed of plastic queen excluder to allow easy access. Seems to be working well so far!

My only worry would be that you really want a frame feeder at the end of the hive/colony space and if they are not mobile (should the temperatures be low) there is less chance of them getting to the end of the hive in order to feed ~ so you could experience isolation starvation. If you put the frame feeder in the middle of the hive isn't it going to act as a follower board once it's full of fondant ?

Or am I missing something ? As it seems to be working for you then it's well worth a bit more explanation from you please ...

I must admit that separating top bars with bee space rather defeats one of the prime benefits of a TBH but I weighed that against the ability to place the fondant where it is most accessible.

Pargyle

Doesn't really act as a follower board because I made it abt 1 inch narrower than the hive and abt 3 inches shorter. Bees have easy access around it and also through it when some of the fondant has been consumed. I decided on the "lattice" sides to allow the bees to gat at the fondant as easily as possible, for me to be able to see how much is left and in the hope that the hive warmth would keep it more pliable/consumable than an enclosed frame feeder. I did mean to take a photo before I used it but will do so when next taking it out. The one thing that I fear is brace comb but none yet.

Pargyle

Doesn't really act as a follower board because I made it abt 1 inch narrower than the hive and abt 3 inches shorter. Bees have easy access around it and also through it when some of the fondant has been consumed. I decided on the "lattice" sides to allow the bees to gat at the fondant as easily as possible, for me to be able to see how much is left and in the hope that the hive warmth would keep it more pliable/consumable than an enclosed frame feeder. I did mean to take a photo before I used it but will do so when next taking it out. The one thing that I fear is brace comb but none yet.

That's a really good idea ..... I can see it working.

Latest posts

Back