Flow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During flow bees do not rob honey even if you put honey frame outside.
When they start to rob, flow is ceased.

But how I notice a flow? Bees arrive into the hive with hanging abdomen.
Sound of flying is a little bit low like mur mur. But sometimes bees carry water to hives, and it is not sure what they do.

But when the bees make a continuous flying tube form into the hive, it is flow then.

Last edited:
flow just refers to there being a reliable source of nectar, typically monofloral eg OSR, Lime, Heather.

if there is a "flow" it means bees will be very busy bringing in nectar.

Last edited by a moderator:
To new beekeeper, I understood roughly what was meant by "flow" but wanted to verify this and also what to look for when one was on.

To new beekeeper, I understood roughly what was meant by "flow" but wanted to verify this and also what to look for when one was on.

Perfectly understandable. I've no idea why some people feel the need to post the way they do :rolleyes:

Bees flying with purpose, watch the flight path, it's constant. Plenty of 'wet' comb and a happy sound from the hive.
Mid July this year was exceptional for some, with bees dumping nectar anywhere as the house bees struggled to keep up.

I'm grateful for all the answers.....looking forward to next spring!

I have been told next year must be better, only thing is I have been told that every year since I started keeping bees lol

Craig

I have been told next year must be better, only thing is I have been told that every year since I started keeping bees lol

Craig

Since I started beekeeping I had no even one season which could call average ( due to bad weather). One year is called disaster, another catastrophe, etc.. So for next year hoping to get at least "average" season.
But as my mentor said when such horrible season pass - this was excellent season for beginners ( who learn to bee keep in worst conditions easily can bee keep in "normal" conditions - as I understood).
All what left to us to be prepared with our colonies as it will be the best year, and if it goes "wild" to adapt as much we can due to conditions.
And of course dreaming of great flow. Ehh..

IN my climate summer is about June to August. It is about 12-13 weeks.

Good flow, when the honey fills hives, it happens during 2 hot weeks.
If flow continues 3 weeks, then the yield is very good, about 80kg/hive on average.

So most of summer, 10 weeks, are not flow time. They just are and bees spend they food to feeding larvae..

During good flow good hives get honey about 3-5 kg/day.
Small hives will be stucked.

Last edited:
Visit hives late evening ,you will hear the ' dehumidifiers' on warp 10 :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"what to look for when one was on"

I look, do they have enough boxes where to put nectar,
and when I can extract more room (capped)

Often we phone to pals:"Have you noticed", "How is your balance hive now?"

Last edited:
Some manipulations require a good honey flow . Unlike a Continental climate . The UK can experience all four seasons in one day . Rather than settled weather leading to an established reasonably long flow , our flows stop start ,unless you have mono cropping close by ? Hence the ops question!
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back