Flow Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
make sure you have done some thorough research before committing your money

There is a European distributor in The Netherlands but no separate UK distributor - we're in the EU, you know!

CVB

I believe I read somewhere that if you order Flow frames....they ship from the nearest distribution centre to you. I know they have one in the EU to avoid the crippling vat the uk adds. If you do decide to order one...enjoy the experience.

Lots of adverts for Flow's hives on ebay.... quite a few collection only from those who purchased last season.... but possibly talked out of using them by the negativity that seems to surround them!

Myttin da

Ones on ebay seem to be Chinese copies. The reviews on the comparisons tell me not to bother even going there. I want to try one as what ive been reading seems to be good.

I know they have one in the EU to avoid the crippling vat the uk adds. If you do decide to order one...enjoy the experience.

Their EU distributor is in the Netherlands where they charge 21% VAT, vs our 20%. One way or another you will pay VAT on your flow frames.

Their EU distributor is in the Netherlands where they charge 21% VAT, vs our 20%. One way or another you will pay VAT on your flow frames.

I think, originally, when the first ones arrived in the uk...customs and excise clobbered you for about £30... It was a vat of some type. Then they started sending from the EU....and changed the import category...so we didn't have to pay it...only the postage. I didn't have to pay it for mine and some of the others were able to claim it back.

I think, originally, when the first ones arrived in the uk...customs and excise clobbered you for about £30... It was a vat of some type.

It's not VAT it's called import duty, they came from Australia with whom we (currently) have no free trade agreement, same as the states.. If your import is valued at over approx £100 you pay duty, roughly 20%. But VAT has to be paid on any sales from member EU states and this differs between countries eg Holland 21%, Luxembourg 15% but then you don't clobbered for import duties on top of that. Its EEC free trade agreement.....which may all change in the next few years.
Either way a government gets their takings from any sale.

You can be certain sure that the government will take a slice....one way or another..lol.
I haven't seen any Flow hives for sale on eBay......but there are plenty of Chinese copies advertised. Whether they are any good...I don't know but it looks like they have upgraded their offerings.
The Flow extraction process is amazing and I am sure many hobby beekeepers will get them in coming years.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2: Sorry ... expensive white elephants - they will be in the bee auctions looking for homes in a year or two.

You wish...hahaha. Now I have one...I know it is really addictive...and I want more. If I see any going secondhand and cheap...you can be sure I will be there. The thing about hobbies is that they can and should be all absorbing, challenging, endlessly fascinating, there are lots of descriptions. The Flow adds a little more...on many levels. For some people it might be the ease of extraction...for others it may be another step towards less interference...for me it's the wonder of the technology involved and that moment when the golden honey swept down the tube and ran into the jar. The aroma and the taste. I can tell you...it's a bit special.

If I see any going secondhand and cheap...you can be sure I will be there.

Well ... someone will have to buy them - they are not biodegradeable...might as well be you !

The thing about hobbies is that they can and should be all absorbing, challenging, endlessly fascinating, there are lots of descriptions.

Not much point otherwise ... I think every beekeeper will agree that beekeeping fulfills all of these and more...

The Flow adds a little more...on many levels. For some people it might be the ease of extraction...for others it may be another step towards less interference...for me it's the wonder of the technology involved and that moment when the golden honey swept down the tube and ran into the jar. The aroma and the taste. I can tell you...it's a bit special.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230:nopity::smash:

At least you have your long hives when the novelty wears off ...

If I see any going secondhand and cheap...you can be sure I will be there.

Well ... someone will have to buy them - they are not biodegradeable...might as well be you !

The thing about hobbies is that they can and should be all absorbing, challenging, endlessly fascinating, there are lots of descriptions.

Not much point otherwise ... I think every beekeeper will agree that beekeeping fulfills all of these and more...

The Flow adds a little more...on many levels. For some people it might be the ease of extraction...for others it may be another step towards less interference...for me it's the wonder of the technology involved and that moment when the golden honey swept down the tube and ran into the jar. The aroma and the taste. I can tell you...it's a bit special.

Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 222–230:nopity::smash:

At least you have your long hives when the novelty wears off ...

Ha ha ha...that's true....we have just rearranged them in the Bee Yard. All last year we could only work from one side on two of them. This year they will be truly long hives as my intention is to expand into the other half and not use the supers. I aspire to your...was it 18-19 frames? So far the bees are surviving in the langstroth wooden hive...I'm hoping they will go to two brood boxes this year.

Ha ha ha...that's true....we have just rearranged them in the Bee Yard. All last year we could only work from one side on two of them. This year they will be truly long hives as my intention is to expand into the other half and not use the supers. I aspire to your...was it 18-19 frames? So far the bees are surviving in the langstroth wooden hive...I'm hoping they will go to two brood boxes this year.

Yep ... best ever in the LDH was virtually wall to wall brood on 13 frames - it was a bloody enormous colony until they decided it was time to swarm and I split them - they had stores in virtually all the other frames (my LDH takes 24 14 x 12 and a couple of dummy boards. The descendents of this colony are still in 5 out of my current 6.5 colonies.

Latest posts

Back