First Snow

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Role on spring, some on here are getting very bored.
On a positive note, first Daffs are in flower in my fields, so wont be long. :nature-smiley-014:
PS anyone want to argue they are primroses ???
S
Lol, some people just cant admit defeat, find a new job fella, cos if your employer finds out you don't know a buzzard from a sparr you have had it. I feel sorry for the birds you misidentify in your job that could lose their homes because maybe you don't know a rare bird from a common one!:ohthedrama:

Lol, some people just cant admit defeat, find a new job fella, cos if your employer finds out you don't know a buzzard from a sparr you have had it. I feel sorry for the birds you misidentify in your job that could lose their homes because maybe you don't know a rare bird from a common one!:ohthedrama:

Spent too long studying and in the field to be worried about your constant insistence that you are right.
But getting bored with this tiresome thread now and have too much work to do. Please continue to believe its a buzzard if you like as there's no harm in you reading your Ispy book of birds and then believing what you have seen
S

one is a buzzard .the other on aerial is female sparrow hawk ..give my prize to charity...

Well, we did have 5" in November that melted, but this past week it really piled up. More than a foot from Tuesday through Thursday. Looks like the snow is here to stay.

IMG_0236_zps271cfcda.jpg

Do you find it isn't necessary to heat your bees over winter?

I saw a few flocks of Fieldfares today it is said they herald the arrival of cold weather so maybe we will get some soon

Yes. I am just wondering why some beekeepers feel the need to heat them.

...I've never heard of anyone actually heating their hives but a lot of UK beekeepers insulate their hives - especially on top of the coverboard.

Yes. I am just wondering why some beekeepers feel the need to heat them.
Cause even huge dinosaurs have died out because of cold ;)
More warmth -> less food needed, less diseases, more brood, earlier brood development etc…
Good insulation - it`s all they need IMHO ... preheating->electricity costs-> subject to cost balances IMHO

Last edited:
why bother when bees with the right insulation are good for -40C

Most beekeepers do things which are unnecessary. But it is so nice. - Like listening and knocking the hive. Knocking keeps hive warm and vivid.

Last edited:
Back