first inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys

I'll leave it another week and see how it is then.
I thought the bees priority would be to get the queen laying asap obviously after building the comb.

I thought they may have drawn one frame fully so the queen could start laying and then carry on with the others.

but as you say she may be a virgin and just isn't ready yet.

if there is no queen will the workers start laying? if so how long will it take before they start laying as i don't want this to happen if i can prevent it?

Thanks guys

I'll leave it another week and see how it is then.
I thought the bees priority would be to get the queen laying asap obviously after building the comb.

I thought they may have drawn one frame fully so the queen could start laying and then carry on with the others.

but as you say she may be a virgin and just isn't ready yet.

if there is no queen will the workers start laying? if so how long will it take before they start laying as i don't want this to happen if i can prevent it?
Hi Spanker, our first full year and from the swarms & split that came from out of our hive this year, one queen was laying within a week, another has taken over 3 weeks and the last little 2nd cast has become a drone layer, so don't think there is any real answer to when things should happen.
Have been reading it can take up to 6 weeks for a queen to get matted & laying. but from our very limited experience it would appear that if they are Q- they become a laying worker colony within a few weeks.

Beginning to realise that the single most valuable thing in Beekeeping is patience!!

Hi guys
so i did an inspection today its been 7 days now and didn't find the queen or see any eggs or brood:(
Im thinking theirs no queen they've drawn out 6 frames of comb but just filled it with syrup/honey there's probably 6 -7 seems of bees

what would be my best option?

Were the bees *happy*?, it can be hard to find the queen and a pain to see eggs through the mesh on a cloudy day but a good indicator is the general mood, bees without a Queen are not going to be very happy.

Were the bees *happy*?, it can be hard to find the queen and a pain to see eggs through the mesh on a cloudy day but a good indicator is the general mood, bees without a Queen are not going to be very happy.

They seemed to be happy not overly busy not flying around much during the inspection, moved them around with my finger they didn't seem to mind.

Hi Spanker, our first full year and from the swarms & split that came from out of our hive this year, one queen was laying within a week, another has taken over 3 weeks and the last little 2nd cast has become a drone layer, so don't think there is any real answer to when things should happen.
Have been reading it can take up to 6 weeks for a queen to get matted & laying. but from our very limited experience it would appear that if they are Q- they become a laying worker colony within a few weeks.

Beginning to realise that the single most valuable thing in Beekeeping is patience!!

Haha Im starting to learn quickly they don't read the instruction manual as to what they are supposed to do and when :laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014
Ill give them some more time and keep an Eye on them

Hi guys

I did the second inspection last Monday its been a bit hectic with work!
still didn't spot the queen however i saw eggs in the bottom of some cells they were still upright . so hopefully shes just started laying.

im away from tomorrow for a week so was going to check to see if there's larvae or should i just leave them to it?

ill get some pics at some point i just don't have enough hands at the minute!
I may need an assistant.

Back