First inspection with bare hands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lebouche

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I kept my first hive when I was ten and had to stop because my mom was worried after talking to a doc. I used to swell like a balloon when stung. Then one autumn evening I went to feed syrup without protection and I dropped the syrup. The bees went mental, I was stung all over and my mom stayed up all night mopping my brow. So I expected to be really allergic! I have avoided getting properly stung over the last two years since I took it up again. I like to think it's because I'm gentle and careful :). I took my first proper sting to the hand last weekend and was so pleased to get it finally done. Anyway, no swelling at all!! I was stung through my washing up gloves and it hurt and I let it pump for a while. All that remained a day later was a little purple mark.
So this weekend I inspected two hives with bare hands. It was much easier, I even pried the frames apart with my hands instead of the hive tool. They didn't sting me at all. I smoked my hands when they showed too much interest.
:winner1st:

I used to be really nervous about the possibility of being allergic, especially as I have a couple of allergies already. But then when I was first stung the swelling was practically nothing after an hour, and it's still that way most of the time. Stopped using gloves about a month into keeping bees. Very occasionally get stung on the hands, but meh.

I have a severe nut allergy and was worried about the same thing but then it seemed to pass and now I find it's best to just keep calm and keep handling the bees.

So this weekend I inspected two hives with bare hands. It was much easier, I even pried the frames apart with my hands instead of the hive tool. They didn't sting me at all. I smoked my hands when they showed too much interest.
:winner1st:

My mentor reckons that if you rub your hands with a little Olbas Oil before doing a bare hand inspection the bees will leave your hands alone ...haven't tried it myself yet... still in surgical gloves for full inspections but brave enough to do bare hands for just minor manipulations.

http://www.olbas.co.uk/products/olbas-oil.ashx

If anyone wants to try it ... Looks like you are a good candidate LB ?

Switched to marigolds for this year. So far only a few stings and mostly my fault. However, I thoroughly wash hands between hives in washing soda. Without doing this you risk carrying the scent of the previous hive with you and incurring an attack. I found this out the hard way a few years ago when I did a bare handed manipulation on one hive but then got severely stung from the next one because i did not clean in between. You only do that once!

Switched to marigolds for this year. So far only a few stings and mostly my fault. However, I thoroughly wash hands between hives in washing soda. Without doing this you risk carrying the scent of the previous hive with you and incurring an attack. I found this out the hard way a few years ago when I did a bare handed manipulation on one hive but then got severely stung from the next one because i did not clean in between. You only do that once!

Good point! This is what I did, use washing soda.

I am looking forward to the day when i can stop useing marigolds! I am a bit of a scardy cat, cant get my head round why they dont just sting all your hands. I do swell a little if stung. Maybe one day

I have a severe allergy to chocolate and many other things. Last week I was dealing with a swarm and some of it had to be performed bare handed - loved it. I did take two stings - one when I rested my wrist on a bee and the other when I had been a bit rough.

Normal amount of swelling and itchiness, now gone. Once I have overcome the fear, it may become my habit. Good suggestion about the soda or olbas oil between hives.

I have always used bare hands since I started. I use Olbas oil on the backs of my hands and round my wrists to reduce stings.. it works quite well.. (I am hairy armed and some bees think I smell like a bear and my wrists look like a bear so they attack me there..

As for carrying phemerones from hive to hive, never seen that affect bee behaviour..

I do of course get stung...13 YTD.. which is nothing..I am not allergic but the soft part of arms or between fingers will swell if stung. 1% hydrocortisone cream works wonders..

I used to go bare hands, but went back to surgical gloves, for a couple of reasons.

Propolis is a bugger to get off your hands.

With a fresh pair of gloves for each hive you avoid transferring any diseases.

Surgical gloves are so thin you can still feel everything.

I use nitrile gloves simply because I don't like my hands getting sticky. Almost as good as bare hands apart from sweating in them.

How much Olbas oil should you use

A few drops - 3-4 - on the back of each hand.. rubbed in well with the other hand - so both sides covered.. and round the wrists which are vulnerable. A small bottle has lasted me 3 years. I have just replaced it..

26 stings YTD - (a collected swarm which was starving got very nasty for 3 days after feeding - now calming down)

Edit: to prevent propolis sticking and to prevent my hands cracking round the nails I use Neutrogena unscented hand cream http://tinyurl.com/oxskgyp - which is absorbed very quickly... Makes my calluses less harsh (or so I am told:)

Last edited:
As for carrying phemerones from hive to hive, never seen that affect bee behaviour..

A couple of years ago after handling a Queen, I went on to inspect 4 boxes, 2 of which were Q+ and 2 Q-. The latter 2 were as good as gold but the 2 Q+ colonies came out sting first in a frenzy. Since then I've used a dead Queen in a roller on a stick to test for queenlessness.

A couple of years ago after handling a Queen, I went on to inspect 4 boxes, 2 of which were Q+ and 2 Q-. The latter 2 were as good as gold but the 2 Q+ colonies came out sting first in a frenzy. Since then I've used a dead Queen in a roller on a stick to test for queenlessness.

So the queen + colonies came out sting first? Not mixing your + and -?
Thanks

The thing you have to get used to if using bare hands is that the bees may land on your hand, or - worse- walk up onto your palms while you are holding a frame - it really tickles and it can be hard to concentrate on what you are doing :) You have to learn not to flinch or make sudden jerky movements. I think it helps keep the bees calm - as you have to have confidence in your bees and yourself to _not_ wear gloves - so you are more relaxed when you are working with them.

I'm still on the leather gauntlets and in my third year beekeeping without a sting yet, call me a wimp but I don't relish the idea of being stung. I can also manipulate everything just fine with the leather, they are a good snug fit. Hats off to anyone doing it bare handed, I just couldn't..

have done inspections twice now with bare hands and got stung both times - the last on my finger tip was a really hot sting.

Im gonna try out surgical gloves next time

Latest posts

Back