First honey harvest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob55

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just extracted my first honey, only got a couple of kg but delighted nonetheless. My frames are all Manleys on unwired foundation and they held up absolutely fine, no broken combs. Some questions for those in the know:

1. What's the best cleaning agent for s/s - is bleach suitable?

2. I have ran the honey through the mesh filter and it is settling in the tank below. Is it now ready to bottle or do it need finer straining or time to settle?

3. The basket holding the frames is showing a bit of rust, any idea if a stainless version could be purchased?

Some pics:

null-10.jpg

null-11.jpg

null-12.jpg

null-13.jpg

I just use cold water with a pressure washer to clean out the extractor.

To clarify with apologies, cold water is best as it keeps wax solid. Warm water softens wax which tends to makes it more difficult to remove.

Waveriders pressure washing idea is very good if you have a largish number of hives as he has as he will be extracting a fair quantity at a time and possibly 4 times per season. For somebody like yourself with just a single hive and not a huge crop, pressure washing might not be best. I have a few hives and a largish Karcher but connecting up all the hoses etc is a pain and in any case what would my wife my wife be doing after I have mucked the utility room up?

No idea about the replacement basket. No makers name to contact?

Last edited:
Take the cage out and clean with some sand paper to remove the rus. If you are selling the honey, it must be free from rust. Another option would be to get some food grade enamel paint to use on the metal work.

The big T make cages, and would be a good starting point.

Just another thought- if this is your first harvest is it a new extractor? If so it should not show any rust.

In answer to your question 2 it depends what you want to do with it.
If for your own consumption let it settle for a few days and then you can bottle it straight from the tank.
If you plan to sell any then it needs to be free of visible bits so probably needs a finer filter. Even if you are giving it away it is better to have a clear product.

I only have a couple of kg so will only be for my own consumption!

Park Beekeeping supplies of blackheath make new cages

i am intending to order a tangential 2 frames 14x12 cage to go into a radail

Back