First call

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Worldsend

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
had my first bee call via the council this year--yes as you guessed about a bumble bee!

shame there isn't someway of making bumble swarms profitable.

£1.2m spent on bumbles each year.

shame there isn't someway of making bumble swarms profitable.

£1.2m spent on bumbles each year.

Get some tiny clippers, shear them and then make and sell very small stripey jumpers :hurray:

There is.... £30 a call out...

That's way too cheap. Last Sunday my plumber came out at 8pm to repair a leak, spent 2 hours repairing pipe and refilling system - cost £40. Wow!! Better that. Also too cheap of course and he is only a recent aquaintance.

How come the only calls out I get seem to be from people with little cash.. haven't the heart to charge them.

The call out this year to get bees from wall, taking me 5 hours and plenty of exhausting brick removal ( I aint no spring chick!), they offered zilch, and when I left them my card and asked them for a donation, maybe £40 to my charity.. you guessed it - never heard from them again. Only spoke to owners on phone, dealt with builders on site, so couldn't stand and demand..
I know where they live .. may send bill.

How come the only calls out I get seem to be from people with little cash.. haven't the heart to charge them.

I've always mentioned on the phone before hand that I will charge. I do get a few that hang up or go mental the second a charge is mentioned but majority understand.

I don't charge, but usually get a present which is nice.

If you're on the BBKA swarm list, I don't think you can make a charge, can you?

Is that right?

Even my association charges £30... As someone said, I think reasonable expenses is allowed so what's reasonable? Petrol, car wear and tear, time, labour, cost of frames and foundation to hive a swarm ???

In any case, I don't think dealing with Bumbles is covered by BBKA rules is it?

Even my association charges £30... As someone said, I think reasonable expenses is allowed so what's reasonable? Petrol, car wear and tear, time, labour, cost of frames and foundation to hive a swarm ???

No, you're right. Bumbles don't count. Must nail down this charge thing for BBKA as I looked on the website the other day (where it is supposed to be in the members' area) but I couldn't find it.

Just an update. Bees in wall... 5 hrs work.. did send bill.. responded and cheque for £100 sent. RESULT.. My charity will benefit

If you want bees then you'd have the cost of frames and foundation anyway.

If you don't want the bees and pass them on to someone then charge them for the frames and foundation.

If you're going to claim expenses for your car and time then are you technically using your car for business? That'd affect your premiums.

Just an update. Bees in wall... 5 hrs work.. did send bill.. responded and cheque for £100 sent. RESULT.. My charity will benefit

That's nice. Well done Heather.

Latest posts

Back