First call out of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoss

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just got a phone call about a swarm that has just arrived in the roof of a house in a nearby village, damsel in distress with a utility room full of bees. First of the season. I have to say this is one of my favorite parts of beekeeping. Bringing bees from somewhere they are a pest to getting them settled in a hive ready for production!

Ok Scratch that. First false alarm of the year,.

"Is it wasps? No. What do you take me for I know the difference between bees and wasps.
Are they black? Yes
Do they have stripes? No.
How did they arrive? Like a swarm. Just today, all at once.
Where are thy now? In the roof of the utility room, Lots getting into the room."

It was wasps.

Ok Scratch that. First false alarm of the year,.

"Is it wasps? No. What do you take me for I know the difference between bees and wasps.
Are they black? Yes
Do they have stripes? No.
How did they arrive? Like a swarm. Just today, all at once.
Where are thy now? In the roof of the utility room, Lots getting into the room."

It was wasps.

Only the odd queen wasp knocking about here just starting to build nests. No advance colonies like you describe. I no the feeling being called out to so called 'swarms of bees' only to discover bumblers or wasps!

Just had my first call out of the season, referred them to pest controllers as I cannot deal with it.

Probably not a swarm - probably not even bees !!! Or if they are and their genetics are such that they swarm this early in the year - who would want them anyway ???

Our first panicked call of the year is almost invariably to solitary bees emerging from their little burrows on the south facing walls of old sandstone buildings.

When a lot emerge on the same warm day and go into homes in a disorientated state they truly CAN look just like honeybees to a non beekeeper.

Just had my first call out of the season, referred them to pest controllers as I cannot deal with it.

Seems very early... for wasps... or even honeybees.

We did get a call from a lady who was starting roof renovations in the new year, who found a feral colony in the roofspace... bagged up, moved out and put in an empty polly National... will deal with them in the Spring.... few bees flying around when disturbed .. but hardly a swarm.

Yeghes da

Seems very early... for wasps... or even honeybees.

I don't think the weather is following the calendar this year Icanhopit.
I checked my test colonies this aftenoon and they're all pushing away. I noticed 1 1/2 frames (Langstroth) of newly laid eggs in one of them.

Probably not a swarm - probably not even bees !!! Or if they are and their genetics are such that they swarm this early in the year - who would want them anyway ???

It might be a cast from last year, that didn't draw attention but I can't deal with it as it is not accessible.

I don't know, swarming in February, they should be ready for any main flow... Both colonies

Our first panicked call of the year is almost invariably to solitary bees emerging from their little burrows on the south facing walls of old sandstone buildings.

When a lot emerge on the same warm day and go into homes in a disorientated state they truly CAN look just like honeybees to a non beekeeper.

Yep ...think you are on the money here .... whatever it is it's not likely to be a this season's swarm unless someone has tipped them out of their home and taken their home away ... and even then, they would be hanging around where they were ...

Latest posts

Back