Filtering OSR honey........

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngyoungs

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
More than 4
Yes, I know I should have acted earlier, but for a variety of reasons I've just taken some supers off, and have more to clear and take off tomorrow.

None of the honey is capped, it all passes the shake test (ha ha) since some is crystallised in the frames. I've extracted the frames and plan to spray them with water, give them back to the bees and hope they move he honey around.

My dilemma. I usually double filter my honey from the extractor and into a bucket, but this is going to take years at the rate it is currently passing through the filters.
:hairpull:
I've never put the raw unadulterated honey, wax and bits of bee straight into a bucket for later processing, but at this rate I'll still be filtering in a months time.
:hairpull:

Am I ok just to put the contents of the extractor into a bucket and sort it out later, I'd quite like to go to bed!

Views?

You got a warming cabinet?
Or can you set your oven to 40oC.
Leave until runnyier and then filter.

I knew there'd be a simple answer, I just couldn't see it.

Thank you

You got a warming cabinet?
Or can you set your oven to 40oC.
Leave until runnyier and then filter.

Anything up to 50C in the oven is OK. Alternatively, if by any chance you make wine/beer and have a heating mat for brewing purposes, that would do the job, though more slowly.

....and if you have any granulated honey from last year....I can recommend grinding it smooth and mixing with your OSR....mine is totally sublime. Can't stop putting spoonfuls on bread and butter!

Took supers off the other two hives, lovely, clear honey and not a crystal in sight.

Hives are next door to each other. Supers which didn't crystallise tended to be poly whereas the others were wood - coincidence?

Anyway, mixed the two lots of honey together, will wait till set then have the offer of a friends warming cabinet to get it warm enough to filter. Sounds like creamed honey is the way to go!

Nope, found exactly the same myself yesterday. The stuff in the poly hives is fully liquid, whereas it will be a melt and heather press job on much of the wooden crop!

Latest posts

Back