field beans spraying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fullframe45

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 --5.
Presently i have 4 hives and several nucs in the middle of several fields of field beans.As a newbie im not entirly sure of the variety .But today i was talking to the farmer whose fields they are and he advised me that in next few weeks it may be that they will have to spray the beans with insecticide. He is a very educated person and a gentleman sort of farmer and he will let me know before when this will happen and he sugested most likely early morning. They are spraying due to some beetle that invades the stem. I will close the bees in for the day ,but other than that is there anything else i can do .Thank you.

Hope you have mesh floors. If not then think about how you will ventilate the hive while it is closed.

He will be spraying for Bruchid Beetles, these burrow into the developing beans. Most farmers will spray insecticides very early in the morning before bees are often flying.

As MasterBK said on an OMF floor ventilation will be ok. On a solid floor I don’t have a clue as to how you would vent the hive sufficiently. I don’t normally close/block the entrance with a piece of foam on mine until as late as possible in the evening before.

I'd probably try a travel screen (given I have solid floors) and I'd probably fit them in the late afternoon of the day before spraying. I also have aluminium mesh to fit over the entrance.

A screen on top perhaps a bit like this. I'd still be concerned on a hot day though.

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_073952.jpg
    IMG_20181215_073952.jpg
    624.4 KB · Views: 23
Thank you ,the hives are all OMF so just have to block entrance night before and i will as you sugest use travel screens on the nucs.Im in the middle of five fields of beans and several fields of wheat/barley so im trying to plan ahead for whatever other spraying may be done in future.

Latest posts

Back