Festival of Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My uncle Glan decided not to tolerate lockdown any more seeing his age, he decided life was too short, so He and my dad's cousin went for a spin to buy a Christmas tree together. Glan was right
Dai Josh was buried a fortnight ago today, Glan was cremated two days later
Even more so!

Positive Vibes Folks ... I am a realist .. I think the chances are that it will be cancelled ... but ... who knows ? .. I suspect that there will be rules in place and I'm not going to chance my arm having got this far but I've had my first vaccination and they tell me in three weeks I will be 85% safe ... 90% plus once I've had the second one. Look forward to something we could all do with - a trip out - there'll be plenty of time to be disappointed as we get nearer to the time ...

Just hope the festival people realise that they will need very wide isles to allow all the coffin dodgers to pass each other in safety with a laden wheelie zimmer frame!
Lets face it ... it will probably only be geriatrics and those with serious underlying health issues that are going to be allowed out by then so if it goes ahead they had better be prepared for us....

I am getting old . When you are 25 years old, losing a year to lockdown is nothing . Statistically you have roughly 56 or so years before you snuff it.

When you are 75, losing a year to lockdown is statistically significant if you snuff it at the average 81 years.

People are unlikely to tolerate lockdown much longer.

PS: I have decided to live to 110 and keep all my faculties. :devilish:
I am over 70 and I see every year of lockdown as between 10% and 15% of my remaining decent lifespan. I am however concerned that a massive retreat from lockdown will lead to an upsurge of another variant.
On the other hand it is good to make an entry on the calendar that is not the doctors or denists appointment.

It is something to look forward to but we should also manage our own wellbeing should it transpire the event doesn't take place to keep ourselves on an even keel.

It is something to look forward to but we should also manage our own wellbeing should it transpire the event doesn't take place to keep ourselves on an even keel.
I dunno ... an awful lot of us on here are pretty wobbly as it is ... one more disappointment isn't going to induce PTSD ..:)

I wouldn’t understand what was being said.....
Wales will probably be closed anyway after open warfare starts over the repatriation of Stonehenge to the hills which I can't spell where it was apparently first erected by JBM's ancestor ...

Wales will probably be closed anyway after open warfare starts over the repatriation of Stonehenge to the hills which I can't spell where it was apparently first erected by JBM's ancestor ...
we've always been good at selling our unwanted old structures to the sais - look at the way we've managed to flog off all our derelict and unwanted peasant hovels, which have then gone on to supply great entertainment on bonfire night 😁

Was that an offer to return them? I think they were only on loan anyway.

If you'd read past the hype and slack journalism, you would realise that they are only talking about the smaller 'bluestones' that actually were there before the larger sarasens. It has been an accepted fact since the 1920's that they came from the Preseli hills, in fact, it wan't that long ago that they discovered one of the quarries they came from at the outcrop of Craig Rhos-y-felin, they have also accepted that, unlike previously when it was believed the stones were transported by sea, it is more than likely they were actually moved over land.
The only thing this 'new' discovery has found is that, rather than being quarried exclusively for shipping to Stonehenge, they actually just 'robbed' an existing smaller henge in Wales to supply stones for Salisbury plain.
The whole thing either points to an ancient example of extreme recycling or an effort to boost the spiritual importance of Stonehenge but incorporating older sacred stones into its structure

If you'd read past the hype and slack journalism, you would realise that they are only talking about the smaller 'bluestones' that actually were there before the larger sarasens. It has been an accepted fact since the 1920's that they came from the Preseli hills, in fact, it wan't that long ago that they discovered one of the quarries they came from at the outcrop of Craig Rhos-y-felin, they have also accepted that, unlike previously when it was believed the stones were transported by sea, it is more than likely they were actually moved over land.
The only thing this 'new' discovery has found is that, rather than being quarried exclusively for shipping to Stonehenge, they actually just 'robbed' an existing smaller henge in Wales to supply stones for Salisbury plain.
The whole thing either points to an ancient example of extreme recycling or an effort to boost the spiritual importance of Stonehenge but incorporating older sacred stones into its structure
It was an interesting bit of forensic archeology and geology ... as you say, having watched the programme with Alice Roberts last night, it didn't really match the hype. However, the whole thing about Preseli and Stonehenge that is enthralling ... and we go stonehenge fairly regularly - is the incredible effort that our ancestors - getting on for 5000 years ago and prior to the invention of the wheel - must have put in to achieve a journey with not just one stone weighing in at around 3 tons average but potentially 80 of them ! There are 29 visible with 49 identified in total left but their positions indicate the there were probably 80 Bluestones originally. Can you begin to imagine the superhuman effort that this relocation would have taken.

We will never know why this relocation took place - there were a number of theories put forward but all you can do is marvel at the commitment it must have required.

What is equally remarkable is that they dragged the Sarcens - weighing originally up to 30 tons each - from West Wood which is about 15 miles away.

And we think we are clever and creative ?

Perhaps it’s evidence that our ancient ancestors had successfully domesticated the woolly mammoth after all🐘🐘🐘🤪

Perhaps it’s evidence that our ancient ancestors had successfully domesticated the woolly mammoth after all🐘🐘🐘🤪
Like it - Nice theory but fatally flawed ... woolly mammoths died out about 5000 years prior to the Preselli to Stonehenge jaunt (apart from a small residual population on an island in Siberia which survived until about 3000 years ago).

Like it - Nice theory but fatally flawed ... woolly mammoths died out about 5000 years prior to the Preselli to Stonehenge jaunt
They said that about the black bees as well - but there were plenty of them in the West of Wales allegedly.

Latest posts

Back