Feeling pretty down today......

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as easy as later on in the season, but just about possible. Depends if he knows any clever dick living nearby who managed to get 80 new queens through the winter in mini-hives.;)

80? and so close to Stratford too,

I have a huge colony busting at the seams. Can you tempt me to buy one, maybe two?

Accidents happen, I knocked a frame over on the grass last year and lost my queen near the end of August, managed to introduce a bought in mated queen and the hive has survived winter.

Out of 50-60,000 residents though you would be dreadfully unlucky to have squished HM.

Hello all,

Many thanks for all the replies and advice.

Panic over, I found me queen yesterday and all seemed fine. Plenty of activity and brood, so I'm happy again.

:nature-smiley-013:

What is the point in pulling apart brood nests at this time, its only the 3rd week of March and today it cold and blowing a gale down here, you are doing more harm than good.

It was about 20ºC where we are yesterday, with little wind and no precipitation. It was lovely.

Masochist! You could have been happy about last Wednesday if you were able to recognise how old eggs are! But maybe it was a bit too cold to go looking. Good that she wasn't the one in 20 000 that you squashed.

Now, how DO you tell if an egg is less than about a day old?

Now, how DO you tell if an egg is less than about a day old?

because you can only just see it with a magnifying glass?

What is the point in pulling apart brood nests at this time

Most should know that, but many still pull them apart.

RAB

With the caveat (though I know you wrote this a week ago, RAB) that not everywhere is the same. We had temps of 20ºC over the weekend and it was shirtsleeves weather.

Glad I checked as my two 14 x 12s are going like the clappers and filling supers, despite there being no rape nearby (well, not near enough).

Latest posts

Back