Feeding a new swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inverted syrup. I find its convenient and the bees take it readily. Better things to do than stand at a stove mixing sugar that's for sure.

What do people generally feed a new swarm? Candipoline or sugar syrup?

Normal sugar 6 kg/langstroth foundation box, if there is no flow. If flow is good, sugar will be mixed into honey.

All kind of special sugar is waste of money.

Inverted syrup. I find its convenient and the bees take it readily. Better things to do than stand at a stove mixing sugar that's for sure.

If that’s the case your doing it wrong:hairpull:

If that’s the case your doing it wrong

If I want them to draw out foundation I use invert or sugar syrup,if they already have drawn foundation I don't feed.

IT is better to give foundations to the swarm, because they are eager to draw them. And you need new combs continuously.

Dump a couple of 2kg packets of sugar into 2 litres of hot water, give a good stir, then go and do something else for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. Hardly a big deal.

Dump a couple of 2kg packets of sugar into 2 litres of hot water, give a good stir, then go and do something else for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. Hardly a big deal.

It all depends on how many colonies you're managing - and how much of a life you have

IT is better to give foundations to the swarm, because they are eager to draw them. And you need new combs continuously.

What if you want to get the queen laying quicker why not do both half drawn half foundation?

yes if you have a swarm let them build from foundation - then you can have spare drawn comb as well. If you feed syrup them it will be done in double quick time.

Basic idea to feed swarm is to save honey. One kilo wax needs 6-8 kg honey.

Bees draw cells walls when the nectar surface becomes higher. Bees do not make walls before they need walls for nectar or to larvae. They do not store ready cells.
They save energy.

Another reason to feed swarm is , if weathers are bad and bees do not get honey from flowers.

I think that it is good advice, that do not feed at once the swarm. They have 3 days honey in their belly. If you feed at once, bees do not have cells where to store the syrup. Then they may abscond from the hive, because swarm thinks that the hive is too full and too small to them.

Last edited:
Basic idea to feed swarm is to save honey. One kilo wax needs 6-8 kg honey.

Bees draw cells walls when the nectar surface becomes higher. Bees do not make walls before they need walls for nectar or to larvae. They do not store ready cells.
They save energy.

Another reason to feed swarm is , if weathers are bad and bees do not get honey from flowers.

I think that it is good advice, that do not feed at once the swarm. They have 3 days honey in their belly. If you feed at once, bees do not have cells where to store the syrup. Then they may abscond from the hive, because swarm thinks that the hive is too full and too small to them.

If flowers could provide us with honey we would not need bees!:winner1st:

Last edited:
What if you want to get the queen laying quicker why not do both half drawn half foundation?

Think about the premise to your question - to ask yourself why would you when
we know bees control the queen. It's not like the queen of a swarm has egg
incontinence.

Bill

Back