feeding 1:1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Am I ok to feed 1:1 syrup at this time of year. I have a collected swarm in a hive. The hive only has a couple of frames of drawn comb, and the rest is foundation. I would like to help them draw some more comb. I have waited 4 days since the swarm was collected to help them use their stores.

2:1 would be more useful. About 4 pints and yes, you are right...wait 2 days after hiving to feed if from an unknown source.

1:1 is good as they can metabolize it immediately. Any stronger and they need to collect water to dilute it. 2 sugar:1 water is more your winter store type of feed.
However having said that if your swarm is in an out apiary and it involves a lot of travelling; I have used 2:1 to save me having to travel back and top up the feeder as often. It was taken down without any problem.

680ml of fresh water to 1kg finest granulated white sugar.

OMG Finnie will see this and we shall have another monologue on how to dilute water!

Yeghes da

I was taught 1:1 Spring to flush the system and feed, but 2:1 is fine for swarm feed.. but we all differ in thinking.

Thanks for the info. 2:1 is thicker, correct? 2lbs of sugar to 1 pint of water. I thought that the thinner mixture (1:1) was better at this time of year because the extra water helps them to draw the comb, and reduce the tendency for them to store it.

Thanks for the info. 2:1 is thicker, correct? 2lbs of sugar to 1 pint of water. I thought that the thinner mixture (1:1) was better at this time of year because the extra water helps them to draw the comb, and reduce the tendency for them to store it.

1:1 is 1kg sugar to 1 litre water

Bees can only directly metabolize sugar solutions up to 50% in strength (1kg sugar to 1 lliter of water) :facts: , anything above 50% needs diluting with water back down to 50% before they can "feed" on it. This can mean they need to find water and take extra flights and use extra energy.
It's all about whether you want them to directly utilize the feed or whether they need to do extra work to be able to use it, or store it.
2 parts sugar to 1 part water is more commonly used when you want them to store it in combs for winter. It's closer to the 80% (or so) they are aiming at for stores; so is easier to evaporate off the small amount of water necessary for them to produce sugar honey.

But use what you wish, they will take either.
As they say you can take a horse to water....etc.

I have used 20% syrup to swarms. Bees draw then higher cell walls and do not cap sugar syrup.

5 kg sugar for 10 langstroth frames.

500 g/foundation.

Last edited:
I agree with finman, this time of year I am feeding small colonies 33% sugar w/w syrup.

680ml of fresh water to 1kg finest granulated white sugar.

OMG Finnie will see this and we shall have another monologue on how to dilute water!

Yeghes da

How to dilute water for example to Amazon aquarium fishes, like Neon Tetra.
1 part tap water and 20 distilled water.

any sugar source is better than none and if the water source is only 5m away then fondant is better than foraging 500m. Currently using fondant with the artifical trees (no alternative is practical) and the bees are all over it.

How to dilute water for example to Amazon aquarium fishes, like Neon Tetra.
1 part tap water and 20 distilled water.

Depends on your tap water!

I collect rainwater ( and we have had plenty of that recently) but only after it has been raining for some time to flush the pollutants out of the atmosphere!
I also dilute this with tap water as necessary, and add Aquasafe or similar chelating agent.

Then I adjust the pH and the ionic concentration.
Bees seem not to be to fussed about the water... but my Malawi's water has to be just right... they are definitely a fussy bunch!

Yeghes da

I collect rainwater ( and we have had plenty of that recently) but only after it has been raining for some time to flush the pollutants out of the atmosphere!
I also dilute this with tap water as necessary, and add Aquasafe or similar chelating agent.

Bees seem not to be to fussed about the water... but my Malawi's water has to be just right... they are definitely a fussy bunch!

Yeghes da

Better to inspect what your rainwater is.

I have taken rainwater from roof near sea, and it has many fold too much cloride.
Ground water has extra chloride to distance of 25 km from sea.

My cottage roof water has pH 8.0. Reason is ash from chimney.

Diluting water is not so simple.
My boy had lots of Malavi ciclids.

Yeghes da

I've not used water direct from the tap in my fish house today, it all goes through the R.O. plant first, and then adjusted and salts added back in. Too much crap in tap water today!

and that's for all fish.....acidic and alkaline.... I used to purchase Tetra Aqua-safe by the 50l drum, until R.O. plant 12+ years ago.

I do miss the water from Dartmoor......never had it so good there, no my tap water is like liquid rock!

want to swap! (hey icanhopit, coming back down to the West Country soon for a visit, maybe I should bring a clean bee-suit!)

Last edited:

2:1 for storing 1:1 for ready use - you want the bees to build comb not make stores thus 1:1 is the correct ratio

I used 1kg sugar to 1 litre of water the first time I fed and it seemed to go down very well. The second time I did 2kg sugar to one litre and couldn't get the whole lot to dissolve so ended up with sugar left when I tipped into the feeder -- that also went so I don't think the bees are bothered as they'll adjust it to their liking.

Regarding [tropical] fish. I water change with 300 litres a week in my 600 litre tank and add 20ml of Seachem Prime each time (treating for the whole tank, not just the replacement water). I have seven 12-year-old Clown Loaches (plus other fish) and they are doing very well with the water change regime.

2:1 for storing 1:1 for ready use - you want the bees to build comb not make stores thus 1:1 is the correct ratio

Bluntly put but i was wanting to state that from day one but with me being clueless i did not want to encroach on anyone's hierarchy, Beefriendly however put a good point forward on 2:1 regarding trips to apiaries.
Hey Ho Here We Go..;)

Latest posts

Back