Feeder problems

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Headnavigator

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Feeding syrup after giving a colony new BB frames (swarm into old empty hive).
I'm baffled by the fact that they simply will not take it from a rapid feeder (cup over bowl type) despite dribbling a track or two down through the central aperture.
They're happy to use contact feeders (upside-down mesh-in-lid type), but despite carefully installing cleanly these do seem to dribble towards the end and therefore encourage wasps under the hive.
Why won't they use the rapid feeder? I've checked and rechecked that it's correctly assembled and have used them successfully many times before but never had this problem. They're busy drawing frames but it slows drastically when they're not getting the syrup. Any ideas?

:hairpull:

I have miller feeders, but when I have no time or I am absent for a while and needed to give some colonies a syrup. I give it into ordinary plastic freezer bags ( I give usually 0,5-1,5l depending of situation). I use as 4l-6l bags to get it flat ( of course -tie them) when put it directly on the top bars. Then turn the miller feeder upside down to can close the hive. Forgot when put it in the hive just pinch from above 2-4 holes with a needle. This way you can give syrup in the middle of a day without fear of robbing.
This isn't something "I" invented, it is proven here as safe for many years ( before I started with beekeeping)..

Last edited:
Feeding syrup after giving a colony new BB frames (swarm into old empty hive).
I'm baffled by the fact that they simply will not take it from a rapid feeder (cup over bowl type) despite dribbling a track or two down through the central aperture.

Dip a leaf in the syrup, and then stick the leaf down the middle of the 'throat', as a sugary ladder. Make sure the leaf (or plural leaves) extend from frame topbar to the top of the cone.
I use a leaf from a nearby Bay tree - a hard stiff leaf.
Also dribble syrup around the top of the central cone, to dribble both to the leaf and down the 'outside' of the cone down to the 'shoreline'.

It may help if the feeder has some prop on it, ie it isn't brand new!
And certainly Erica's suggestion of giving the syrup some bee-attracting aroma should also help.

Lately, I've been wondering whether it would be helpful to fill the (hollow) underside of the cone.
Placed over a biggish hole, the underside of the cone represents a barrier (like an upside-down ditch) that the bees have to learn to cross, before climbing up, and then down to the syrup.
I think it would be easier (the bees would find the syrup quicker) if the cone were 'solid' and they didn't have the 'ditch' to cross. Next time I have some of that expanding foam filler on the go, I'll give one of the feeders a squirt.

Make sure the eke and roof are well insulated and the syrup is warm(35C) before you put it in. A feeder and its syrup are a big thermal distrurbance.

Might be worth just checking that the sides of the tube have ridges for the bees to climb - one of my feeders was so very smooth they were reluctant to use it - I roughed up the sides of the tube both the one down to the hive and the side down to the syrup with some rough sandpaper and I found the number of bees going up into the feeder increased dramatically. The latest one I've bought from T's has nice ridges moulded into the tube - much better. Also no more bees slipping into the syrup.

I've done a similar thing to Itma's suggestion, in the past, but using a length of string soaked in syrup, instead of a bay leaf.

Many thanks for all these useful suggestions. I added a drop or two of lemongrass oil this morning and tonight when I got home one bee had got the message! Leafy sprig of lavender now dunked in the syrup and popped down the middle to the frame, we'll see how that is tomorrow. The surfaces are appropriately ribby, but the 'ditch' around the central hole does seem to create a barrier, and my stock of rapid feeders all have heavy propolis deposits up there as though the bees have been trying to fill them in. I shall report back; thanks you all.
:thanks:

Lately, I've been wondering whether it would be helpful to fill the (hollow) underside of the cone.
Placed over a biggish hole, the underside of the cone represents a barrier (like an upside-down ditch) that the bees have to learn to cross, before climbing up, and then down to the syrup.
I think it would be easier (the bees would find the syrup quicker) if the cone were 'solid' and they didn't have the 'ditch' to cross. Next time I have some of that expanding foam filler on the go, I'll give one of the feeders a squirt.

Just drill a hole in the feeder board of the right diameter to match the hole in the feeder and you won't have that 'ditch' (it's the same size hole saw bit as you need for an optimum (Tom Seeley) size hole in a bait hive.

Back