Feed and Treat?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkranger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 Nats and 1 tbh
Honey extracted and wet supers fed back but brood box absolutely bereft of stores. Really want to start Apigard treatment but I think they need feeding first. Can I feed and Apigard at the same time?.

They should still be able to forage for food.
Loads coming in down here.
If really worried feed for 1 week, but close entrances right down or wasps will enjoy the food more... Don't feed and treat at the same time or not so effective. Once treatment over there is plenty of time to pile in 2:1 syrup.. and wasps may be less then.

If you feed a gallon of syrup they will wolf it down in no time i.e. a few days. Then you can add the varroa treatment.
Feeding is more important in your situation - starvation will kill quicker than varroa!

I have just removed all my honey and a few hives had filled their brood chambers completely with brood so as i have nicked all their food, the light ones have been singled out and will be moved back home from the away sites earlier and fed all together otherwise if i feed a few within a large group it can trigger selective robbing. They will be fed and once they have had a bit (only 2-3 litres) i will treat them, i will only give them enough to keep going as i don't want them to bung up the brood chambers and slow bee production.

C B

Honey extracted and wet supers fed back but brood box absolutely bereft of stores. Really want to start Apigard treatment but I think they need feeding first. Can I feed and Apigard at the same time?.

How extraordinary. Why did you not leave them some honey? Does it really feel ok to leave them "absolutely bereft of stores"? And replace the honey with sugar?

How extraordinary. Why did you not leave them some honey? Does it really feel ok to leave them "absolutely bereft of stores"? And replace the honey with sugar?

The bees here at home seem to think sugar syrup is good stuff. Mine are currently going berserk over some spillages here, and that's before I've removed any honey.

I would have left them some too.
Husband and I spent a couple of hours at the Apiary yesterday clearing some supers and rearranging frames so that each colony that hasn't much in the way of stores in the brood box has some in one shallow. Treat next week I hope.
But It doesn't answer your question so If you've taken it all give them as much 2:1 syrup as they'll take in three days.

While agreeing that leaving them with nothing is dangerous for them its quite often the case that colonies will benefit greatly from a bit of judicious feeding at this time of year. Sometimes if the brood box is clogged with honey- a common situation with colonies which have previously swarmed and only recently got their queen mated- then it really helps them to extract full brood frames and giving them empty drawn combs in return and a good feed.

Latest posts

Back