Extractor Investment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
been exchanging a few emails with Clive? at Giordans UK bit and I am a bit confused about models available. I assumed customs were mega bucks and what I see is this

http://www.thebeebusiness.co.uk/range_extractors.php

a 12 framers which takes LS mediums, Manleys and BS would be cool...but don't see any of this

I bought the extractor from Abelo and I'm very happy with this purchase

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a nine frame Stainless Steel radial extractor that takes all frames from C. Wynne Jones, a lot cheaper than big brand companies. Regret not getting a motor for it might get one for Xmas!

Thank you very much for all your advice on this topic. I am quite liking the price of the drill driven Giordan....please can someone help me with a few queries about the drills. I take it I would need a variable speed drill? Also would an electric drill (one with a plug) be best, so that I don't have to keep charging it?
Do you have to hold onto the drill whilst spinning or does it slot in somewhere safely, and put a rubber band on the button???? Sorry, but I am not much of a drill wizard, as you can tell.

Also, is the Giordian suitable for National Super frames?

Thanks also for all the advice about how to 'hug' onto the extractor. Castors sound like a good idea. I might come back seeking advice as how to fix castors to the feet in the future.

The one I bought from agrinova had the mains electric drill (skil brand) already attached. it connects to the central spindle via a toothed belt ( like a cam-belt) which runs off of the chuck.
the drill has a lock'n'hold 'on' button, and a variable speed dial built into the trigger. for the few quid you save, you might as well get the one with the drill included in the price.

It is possible to pick up decent enough drills for less than agri-nova charge.

However you have to factor in the faff of removing the chuck, which, if you can't get the locking screw undone, involves a series of sharp blows with a hammer.

Thank you very much for all your advice on this topic. I am quite liking the price of the drill driven Giordan....please can someone help me with a few queries about the drills. I take it I would need a variable speed drill? Also would an electric drill (one with a plug) be best, so that I don't have to keep charging it?
Do you have to hold onto the drill whilst spinning or does it slot in somewhere safely, and put a rubber band on the button???? Sorry, but I am not much of a drill wizard, as you can tell.

Also, is the Giordian suitable for National Super frames?

Clive will supply a decent drill, as doc says you could possibly save a few bucks buying your own, but will cause extra aggro. He supplies an electric vari-speed one, I don't think a battery version would cut it.

It does indeed slot in somewhere safely and you "hang onto it" in so far as pressing down on the trigger to keep it going.

And its suitable for national supers - larger frames can be spun tangentially

you can also get a dedicated speed control box that plugs between the drill and the mains - you can see it in the picture on the Agri-Nova site. once you manage to navigate to right page.

It is possible to pick up decent enough drills for less than agri-nova charge.

However you have to factor in the faff of removing the chuck, which, if you can't get the locking screw undone, involves a series of sharp blows with a hammer.

I had a drill already and managed to kill the chuck on mine when I removed it! The 650 w bosch drill works fine, unless you allow honey to build up under the extractor rotor and the drill will start smoking when the rotor drags on the honey. (Still OK though).
Tonyblokes suggestion of getting the drill with the extractor is easier!
If you want the extractor to accomodate Nat super frames, tell the supplier and it will be done.

You do need a mains drill IMO.

You do need a mains drill IMO.

Ah, so this wouldn't be progress...?

20242.jpg

;)

When I bought mine, Clive suggested that I buy with the drill included, to ensure it was the right sort of drill, which I did ( wrong sort are easily burnt out).

Mine has a lock button on trigger. However I did have to remove the chuck myself - no great deal. I searched for the drill prices on the net later, to see what sort of a deal I had had, and could not match Clive's price.

Really pleased with it. All in, the cheapest way of getting a decent non manual extractor that I could find

did you guys manage to get this model to do Manley and normal frames including BS and Dadant shallow (L medium)?

never tried, as I only use nat supers. I can extract 16 x 10's with the supplied tangential screens
ask clive @ agrinova about the various frame size options, he's a really helpful chap

never tried, as I only use nat supers. I can extract 16 x 10's with the supplied tangential screens
ask clive @ agrinova about the various frame size options, he's a really helpful chap

done that, got nothing I can use really certainly no specifics only a friendly series of emails and a yes we can do something, we agreed to discuss at Harper Adams next year as it was just early / preliminary investigation for next year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back