Extraction - time to go Electric....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Ok after nearly 30 Supers using a 4 frame Manual Extractor I have had enough..... when it's just one person it takes forever getting the frames ready then Spinning by hand.

So... Looking for 9-12 frame Extractor Electric - Like the Idea of the Programable so will slowly speed up in both Directions etc. then hopefully that will free me up to be getting the next frames ready.

Also, someone posted a Picture of an Extractor, Konig??? that had the drain tap on the bottom of the extractor rather than the side? seemed a good idea to get all the honey out without lifting the extractor!

any Recommendations? I will be selling my 4 Frame Extractor which was the LEGA 4 Frame from C Wynn-Jones now about £375, so hopefully give me a total Budget of about £800

Many thanks for any pointers -

Check out abelo and the like with that kind of budget your not far off a 20 frame electric.
:iagree:
their 20 frame standard is £970.00 and with Damian, you can always try a haggle. The saving if you go for an 8 frame one is only twenty quid!
Old Castle Farm is also worth a punt - Konigin extractors

I went for a 12 frame Konigin last year. It makes life so much easier than a 4 frame manual. However, I frequently wish I'd gone for something smaller. The 12 is difficult to manhandle and too wide to fit through a standard door. It takes up a lot of space in the garage when stored and in the kitchen when it use. If you're working by yourself, the konigin 8 frame is more user friendly.

I went for a 12 frame Konigin last year. It makes life so much easier than a 4 frame manual. However, I frequently wish I'd gone for something smaller. The 12 is difficult to manhandle and too wide to fit through a standard door. It takes up a lot of space in the garage when stored and in the kitchen when it use. If you're working by yourself, the konigin 8 frame is more user friendly.
That's the one thing with the Konigin kit, it's definitely more industrial looking and bulky. I have a 20 frame Lyson and it fits through a standard door easily and you could actually lift and carry it without too much strain if you needed to. It makes a massive difference in the time needed for extraction compared with, say a nine frame radial.

That's the one thing with the Konigin kit, it's definitely more industrial looking and bulky. I have a 20 frame Lyson and it fits through a standard door easily and you could actually lift and carry it without too much strain if you needed to. It makes a massive difference in the time needed for extraction compared with, say a nine frame radial.
Snap
D94D86B4-8B96-4711-8335-419BC1CC0821.jpeg

Konigin tries to be a one size fits all .
the honey reservoir won’t hold 1 supers worth of honey as the base is convex to keep the bottom bearing clear of the honey, lest water gets through and drenches the motor !
yet they state that the extractor can be power washed ??

Konigin tries to be a one size fits all .
the honey reservoir won’t hold 1 supers worth of honey as the base is convex to keep the bottom bearing clear of the honey, lest water gets through and drenches the motor !
yet they state that the extractor can be power washed ??
We take the motor off for cleaning and storage. It lightens the load.

Given that decapping takes time, I use a four frame radial and uncap during spin cycle. Much quicker and more flexible for 6/7 hives.

Would not want anything larger but if I had (say) 20 hives and better weather/forage I would go for a larger one. But as honey crop is almost always weather retstricted (rain in July) waste of time, I only extracted 14 supers in summer . (7 in spring)

We take the motor off for cleaning and storage. It lightens the load.
Given that decapping takes time, I use a four frame radial and uncap during spin cycle. Much quicker and more flexible for 6/7 hives.

Would not want anything larger but if I had (say) 20 hives and better weather/forage I would go for a larger one. But as honey crop is almost always weather retstricted (rain in July) waste of time, I only extracted 14 supers in summer . (7 in spring)
You can remove the top bar and cage to make cleaning easier but I’m not equipped with an engineering degree . 😂😂
to be fair , the motor lead is exceptionally long given the distance between the motor and controller!

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I will get Hunting Online this evening, but it's hard not to look at anything else after looking that the Red & Stainless 12 frame.

just wondering how you all got on with the controller?

I am presuming that someone makes one that slowly speeds up - then reverses spin - then a faster spin - leaving the Extractor unattended so I can Uncap & Sort Frames???

many thanks

Thanks for all the ideas so far, I will get Hunting Online this evening, but it's hard not to look at anything else after looking that the Red & Stainless 12 frame.

just wondering how you all got on with the controller?

I am presuming that someone makes one that slowly speeds up - then reverses spin - then a faster spin - leaving the Extractor unattended so I can Uncap & Sort Frames???

many thanks
why do you need a reverse spin? most of them only spin one way, and it's always safer to be nearby when the extractor speeds up because sometimes it doesn't like it and if you're not there, could shake the machine, or the room to pieces.

The swing cage is great in my opinion. There are a few options out there. No blowout frames either!

why do you need a reverse spin? most of them only spin one way, and it's always safer to be nearby when the extractor speeds up because sometimes it doesn't like it and if you're not there, could shake the machine, or the room to pieces.

I HAd always presumed a change of direction whilst spinning was useful, but I guess as the frames are Radial makes no difference... certainly gave my arm a change on the Manual Extractor -
yep, i will be right next to the extractor whilst it is spinning but would be nice to not have to have a hand on the speed controller so I can continue Getting the next frames ready.

I have a SAF Natura 9 frame radial electric extractor. It is stainless steel. I bought it as recommended in The Apiarist a few years ago. I think you are currently able to purchase for around £870. I think this is the extractor sold by Easibee but they just say Italian design and manufacture.

A little talked-about brand... after much research, and having pulled back from buying a Giordan at a similar price, I bought this Logar 9 frame electric extractor.

https://www.honey-extractors.co.uk/extractor-radial-9f-motor-110wbarrel-52
The quality is peerless - both of the materials and the finish. On German forums, the Logar kit seems to be held in higher regard than Fritz.

The motor is German. It is reversible direction.

The drum has a domed and tilted base, with the tap/gate welded at the rim - so honey drains beautifully.

One of my most pleasing purchases - not just in beekeeping.

An option well worth considering IMHO

After reading this thread, I have a Question. Currently have a Maismore basic plastic extractor that is getting old and tired. I have 5 hives so generally extract 10 - 15 frames. Am I odd in wanting to replace with an electric extractor? Is the performance of an electric extractor so far better than mechanical that you can get all the honey out without blowing, nice and steady for a time that if doing manually would make one's arm drop off?

Latest posts

Back