extinct honey bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a short article just now on South East Today, BBC1 about these queen bees being released in Dungeness, Kent

For reasons I have never understood the media seem incapable of saying locally extinct or extinct in Britain which would be more correct.

Pedant warning - with no apology, this really annoys me......

Extinction of a particular animal or plant species occurs when there are no more individuals of that species alive anywhere in the world - the species has died out - Full stop!

Simon

Extinction of a particular animal or plant species occurs when there are no more individuals of that species alive anywhere in the world - the species has died out - Full stop!

Simon

:iagree: Also, not an expert on any bees but my daughter found one and her mate picked it up on buttercup to show us at gardening club today. Looked pretty much like the one in the paper.

Simon

Which is why locally extinct is acceptable.

Locally -in a particular place, area, location, etc.

Extinct - (of a species, family, or other larger group) Having no living members.

So locally extinct means having no living members in the locality.

To quote a rather annoying advert -"simples".

Latest posts

Back