Exposed to North and East

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putnamsmif

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got the chance of a new apiary site which in Spring and Summer should offer some really good varied forage, BUT, it is quite exposed to the North and East. Would I be better leaving them in my current spot until the Spring and then moving them, or would plenty of kingspan and making sure they've got a good block of fondant on be sufficient? Thank you in advance.

In my humble opinion they would be fine just as a brood box. They might be better with kingspan, they may need fondant if you haven't left them enough stores.
E

In all honesty without seeing the spot no one can reasonably say how bees will over winter there!

I have 2 out apiaries less than 2 miles apart. One is sheltered by a wall behind and the other is pretty much open to the wind.

I always believed that the more sheltered site would do better but this year, due to local forage I guess, the more open apiary has done far better during the summer.

With enough stores and insulation the bees have survived the winter in both locations.

I would be more concerned if the apiary was situated in a frost pocket rather than what direction it is exposed to. Make sure it is not in a position which is a natural dip in the land where frost/cold/damp congregates. Look at the potential apiary from this point also.

Back