Explodeing Nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes you can get a 6 frame brood to fit on top of that nuc ,you can get a top feeder too handy if you make the nuc into a 8 frame

Thank you for that.. i will keep them in mind... however my way of thinking IS why add another brood box to a full Nuc when you can easily stick them in a full size Poly brood box.

Last edited:
Thank you for that.. i will keep them in mind... however my way of thinking IS why add another brood box to a full Nuc when you can easily stick them in a full size Poly brood box.

I have two set up like that. Actually they have a third box on top, so eighteen frames in total. I find the bees love the vertical cavity and a feeder on top doubles as extra insulation.

I have two set up like that. Actually they have a third box on top, so eighteen frames in total. I find the bees love the vertical cavity and a feeder on top doubles as extra insulation.

That does sound good for the bees Steve.. i may well have done something similar if i had the equipment to do it your way..however i do not.. but what i do have is several spare abelo brood boxes and a couple of abelo roofs stuck in the garage and everything else to make more hives if need be.. so rather than waste money buying more kit that i might not use the sensible option to me is to use what i already have..;)

I have 5 frame nucs that may move into 6 frame boxes whose bees may move into 8 frame boxes - still time.
Match the bees to the box and try to have enough food in there so you don't need to mess around with fondant in winter.

I have 5 frame nucs that may move into 6 frame boxes whose bees may move into 8 frame boxes - still time.
Match the bees to the box and try to have enough food in there so you don't need to mess around with fondant in winter.

That sounds good to me i looked in on the other two nucs yesterday through the clear crown board and they are starting to get jammed up also.. they may also be put into dummied down poly hives by the weekend..;)

Maybe the wrong time of the year to judge as they will be on definsive duties from wasps and robbing but how are the GM queen offspring, Are they calm and easy to work?

Maybe the wrong time of the year to judge as they will be on definsive duties from wasps and robbing but how are the GM queen offspring, Are they calm and easy to work?

All the colonies have calmed down now the feed is on them.. even my one vile hive is acceptable.. the GM Queens daughters are docile as you like.. i have had Keld Branstrup lines before and these are no different in temprament... honey production might be a different story..we will see...

Ged Marshall uses stock from Keld Branstrup according to the website.

I've had GM bees from the early summer; they are beautiful to work with. Even at this time of the year they are very calm. I was vaping this evening, when you vape the black bees they buzz loudly for about 2 minutes after. The Buckfast for about 10 seconds after or maybe not at all.

Latest posts

Back