European hornets

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob D.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Firstly these are European hornets not Asian so nobody panic please.

I'm a new beekeeper, first full season. We've noticed a lot more hornets than I remember in any previous year, three instances in three different locations. Is this just that we're new to beekeeping and taking more notice or are the numbers unusual this year ?

Secondly to top it of the wife has spotted a hornet nest in a wood pile, about 20 feet from one of our hives. Are European hornets a danger to honey bees ? What action should I be taking ?

Firstly these are European hornets not Asian so nobody panic please.

I'm a new beekeeper, first full season. We've noticed a lot more hornets than I remember in any previous year, three instances in three different locations. Is this just that we're new to beekeeping and taking more notice or are the numbers unusual this year ?

Secondly to top it of the wife has spotted a hornet nest in a wood pile, about 20 feet from one of our hives. Are European hornets a danger to honey bees ? What action should I be taking ?

Hi Bob, European hornets may well take a few bees but its a tiny percentage in relation to their diet. That do eat an awful lot of mosquitos, flies and other insects we would deem as undesirable.
They are a major part in the balance of nature and its important too remember that!!

However, some nests are a nuisance due to their proximity to hives etc, just physically making it difficult and danger our for you to carry out your beekeeping safely. For these close nests destruction is sometimes the only option it to destroy them.

I am not sure if their protected in there UK but their certainly not here. but its rare if i have to destroy any, only if they make a nest in a place uses a lots by humans. You will be surprised just how docile they are compared to the Asian. (although i hope you won't be comparing the two any time soon.)

The developing queens in the spring time (around now ) are still flying. their huge, you usually hear them before you see them and soon they will remain in their newly created nests and continue laying as the workers take over.

Its all about getting a balance. hope this helps.

We get them in our garden every year, mostly in July and August. We think they are very beautiful and do take a few bees from our hives but are not a problem. They never sting us even when handled - but will defend their nest with extreme prejudice.

Last edited:
We had a hornet's nest in the eaves of the house last year. Occasionally one would ping off the roof, and you've got to watch out in the night as they are nocturnal, but no wasps. At all! We could eat out in peace without the little jam stealing bastards getting everywhere. I hope we get them again this year.

We've seen more European Hornets since we've had bees, so there's obviously an attraction.

If I found a nest in the garden we'd probably leave it alone, unless it was in the wrong place, and I'd take loads of photos!

Hi Bob, European hornets may well take a few bees but its a tiny percentage in relation to their diet. That do eat an awful lot of mosquitos, flies and other insects we would deem as undesirable.
They are a major part in the balance of nature and its important too remember that!!

However, some nests are a nuisance due to their proximity to hives etc, just physically making it difficult and danger our for you to carry out your beekeeping safely. For these close nests destruction is sometimes the only option it to destroy them.

I am not sure if their protected in there UK but their certainly not here. but its rare if i have to destroy any, only if they make a nest in a place uses a lots by humans. You will be surprised just how docile they are compared to the Asian. (although i hope you won't be comparing the two any time soon.)

The developing queens in the spring time (around now ) are still flying. their huge, you usually hear them before you see them and soon they will remain in their newly created nests and continue laying as the workers take over.

Its all about getting a balance. hope this helps.

Totally agree with the above, they are fabulous creatures to observe and study. They seem to have a bit of a dislike for wasps as well, i love the noise they make.

Latest posts

Back