EU approved Oxalic Acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:

I once travelled to a wilderness centre near Oulu to watch bears. There were lots of them. I'd agree about the mosquitoes there were gazillions of those

yes, that is a trick of Oulu Police Department'" own idea to wear bear suit on the oxalic acid users. They play bear to tourists.

I expect it will go back to the VMD, they were going to set up/sponsor or whatever their own trials/research. This was quite a bit time ago 1-2 years can't remember, has anybody heard anything since.
They thought things had got a bit silly because
1] no manufacturer would spend a fortune on testing a generic product for all and sundry to use
2] If we used OA or thymol to control mites FERA or whoever could take action for using a non approved product.
3] If we did not then we were taking due care of our livestock, leaving us open to cruelty.
After discussion with the BBKA/BFA/FERA etc. It was left that we beekeepers carry on doing the best we could [not doing anything silly] for our bees while the VMD checked things out.
( Does that some things up OK those with a better memory than me)
Some products may well have approval in the odd euro country but I don't think that was good enough for our authorities.
Or have I missed something along the way.

ian

I expect it will go back to the VMD, they were going to set up/sponsor or whatever their own trials/research. This was quite a bit time ago 1-2 years can't remember, has anybody heard anything since.
They thought things had got a bit silly because
1] no manufacturer would spend a fortune on testing a generic product for all and sundry to use
2] If we used OA or thymol to control mites FERA or whoever could take action for using a non approved product.
3] If we did not then we were taking due care of our livestock, leaving us open to cruelty.
After discussion with the BBKA/BFA/FERA etc. It was left that we beekeepers carry on doing the best we could [not doing anything silly] for our bees while the VMD checked things out.
( Does that some things up OK those with a better memory than me)
Some products may well have approval in the odd euro country but I don't think that was good enough for our authorities.

ian

yes you are correct

appears to have come to a halt in october 2011 ,see attached pdf...assume cutbacks

Last edited:
I ex

ian

yes all.

Defra has teached trickling 7 years and has published letters.

When stuff has been used now everywhere 12 years, and no one has reported any signifigant problems, what in heck is happenig now. Who lead the British beekeeping, the researchers or some mad two hive owners which have not capacity to read the original researches.

Guys, take your medication NOW! And Ian too

And EU has proved these varroa treatment procedures several years ago. No one has presented facts against the methods. None!

Last edited:
Occasional meetings with beekeeping representatives continue - I used to take part on behalf of the SBA. The new guy took part in a meeting in October (2011) and my impression from the report was that not much had happened lately in terms of pushing ahead getting UK regulations in place to cover bees and veterinary medicines. Getting the SQP system in place still seems to be an aspiration for some time in the future.

yes all.

Defra has teached trickling 7 years and has published letters.

When stuff has been used now everywhere 12 years, and no one has reported any signifigant problems, what in heck is happenig now. Who lead the British beekeeping, the researchers or some mad two hive owners which have not capacity to read the original researches.

Guys, take your medication NOW! And Ian too

And EU has proved these varroa treatment procedures several years ago. No one has presented facts against the methods. None!

well you may NOT be ok because according to this summary http://ec.europa.eu/food/fs/ifsi/eupositions/ccrdvf/ccrdvf_bee_products_en.pdf then no Varroa treatment are registered in Finland

i assume finhish goverment just ignore the EU legislation but one day the EU will impose it

the EU regulations that are the problem not beekeepers

Heh heh . We drive against red lights and do what ever over speed.

But I have not met a sigle beekeeper here who is worried that mite killing is illegal.
We have guns second most in the world. We do not keep mite killing as any pecucilar job.

And you bye 6% oxalic from Italy, and it is illegal . Talk about tits if you do nt find something else.

English humour I suppose.

Biggest problem is that when a Finnish man is happy, he starts to piss on public place.

Yes Finman, I think if the VMD were presented with half of the data that has been published. Even they could see and then ask what the heck is going on. Get on with it lads.
The same applies with labeling etc. Bigger fish to fry elsewhere (humour) . So long as we don't feed 50kg thymol to each colony and sell the honey in a mislabeled underweight jars. Then we stand a chance otherwise the authorities will come down on all beekeepers like a ton of bricks, our trading stds guys are more interested meat sales and the like.
Hopefully our voice has been heard and something workable will be forthcoming in due course.

iand

Looking at that action plan looks like if oxalic gets approved then the only real change will be that Gill at Thor*es will need to be trained to become a SQP!!!

our trading stds guys are more interested meat sales and the like.
Hopefully our voice has been heard and something workable will be forthcoming in due course.

iand

I think my recent Haringey trading Standard visit was due to them having nothing to do in my area and justifying their jobs in this age of cut backs

The Tottenham and wood green riots took out quite a lot of importers of meat and ethnic butcher and others kind of premises in Haringey (and one big meat packer in a bit of difficulties had a large fire 24hrs after all the rioting finished)

But I have not met a sigle beekeeper here who is worried that mite killing is illegal.
We have guns second most in the world. We do not keep mite killing as any pecucilar job.

So what calibre rifle and powder load do you use for mites then - or do some use shotguns (if so - do you use no 8 or dust shot?)

Welsh humour - not English :biggrinjester:

MM - you'd better watch out - might find TS staking out your apiary at all times of day and night if they're more used to playing cat and mouse with Halal outlets.

"So what calibre rifle and powder load do you use for mites then - or do some use shotguns (if so - do you use no 8 or dust shot?)"

JBM - unfortunately Dave Cushman site is quiet on this issue (despite detailing a similar percussive anti-wax moth treatment).

anyone tried firing a starting pistol inside an occupied hive????

"JBM - unfortunately Dave Cushman site is quiet on this issue (despite detailing a similar percussive anti-wax moth treatment).

anyone tried firing a starting pistol inside an occupied hive????

Hmm interesting - may try that with one of my blank firers!

So what calibre rifle and powder load do you use for mites then - or do some use shotguns (if so - do you use no 8 or dust shot?)

Welsh humour - not English :biggrinjester:

what do you think, which is more illegal in Wales to kill mites with syringe of with rifle?

Never heard about Welsh humour! ....Welsh jokes.,.no, never

Last edited:
As a newbee I have been trying to read up on oxalic acid treatment. Can’t say I like the idea of doing it but, needs must, of the two ways Vapour or syrup the success rates for both treatments seems to be very similar. On personal health and safety and initial out lay syrup is cheaper and easier. Now as oxalic acid in syrup form has become an ‘Annex II’ product under EU legislation or an approved medicine and needs a prescription at some point in the future, would treating the hive with oxalic acid vapour be classed as a hive cleaner? Or have I missed something along the way. My mentor uses syrup.

Cedar

I have just bought enough Oxalic crystals to last me 20 years. Hopefully I can then ignore any directives,appendices and annexes just like most EU members apart from us brits.

Now as oxalic acid in syrup form has become an ‘Annex II’ product under EU legislation or an approved medicine and needs a prescription at some point in the future,r

As I have written. It has been used in Europe 12 years. That approvement means nothing in practice.

Folks burn all kind of rubbish in their smokers. Who has read legistation of incinerators?

Latest posts

Back