Equipment on ebay

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marklaverda

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
It never ceases to amaze me how prices of some items can sell more at auction on ebay than if purchased new from reputable bee suppliers.
I was looking at a 2 year old used bee strainer on ebay that in the end went for a total of £20.50 inc delivery yet brand new can be purchased online for £18.95 inc delivery. I would have expected the 2nd hand item would have been at least half the price.
Dont bidders know how much new kit costs? or do they get carried away in the heat of the bidding?
I might purchase a new strainer and sell on ebay as a 2nd hand item for more.... now that is an idea for a money making scheme.... :)

ebay bid:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TWO-STAGE...Bee_Keeping&hash=item25683bd8ae#ht_499wt_1153

Standard sale price:

http://www.beechwoodbees.co.uk/honey-strainer.html
( i have no affiliation whatsoever to company above, they are just a random example)

Probably people that dont use the internet and get carried away, mind you saying that I got stainless steel uncapping tray from ebay brand new cheaper than I could have got it (think they import it from that polish bee company) unheated but seemed well built.

as a seller you would lose money rather than gain anything, if you sell summat for £20 ebay will take £2 of that and if you use paypal to collect payment they will take another quid off you as well, i sell dvd boxsets on fleabay and i have to buy a cart load to make a profit because of the percentage they charge

A Paynes poly nuc went for 28 last night, only been used for a couple of seasons :)rolleyes:), new from Paynes I think they are 27.50 :cool:

Only 1 year I thought.

A certain gentleman of this forum did very well selling an extractor on ebay. Way over the new price.

Similar thing happened at our association acution this Spring when some ropey WBC's went for silly money. The buyer looked a bit sheepish after he realised what he'd done. He can be consoled by the fact that someone else bid just under the final price. (And I don't think it was the seller!).

Its called bidding fever, all it takes is one competitive bidder who dislikes to be beaten. I have seen it loads of times, its not until they have won the auction that they look back and think whoa I have over paid for this, but by that time they are committed to buying the item.

Its not just that with ebay, a LOT of things on ebay are indeed cheaper, and the problem is that people assume it will always be cheaper, for everything.

I tend to check ebay when I am looking for something, and I have lost count of the times I see people selling something I have seen elsewhere + a few quid + p&p. In other words when they get a buyer they simply pop down the shops, buy the item, send it off and bank a few quid.

A couple of months ago I bought at a local auction 8 used ply nucs, sold 1 on fleabay for £20+£10 postage!! I only paid £8 for the lot!!

Last edited:
It's far from just beekeeping gear. I've seen well-used (astronomical) telescopes and other astronomy gear go for far more than the delivered price from a reputable dealer before now. I think it's probably correct that some people just assume it will always be cheaper on ebay.

James

It never ceases to amaze me how prices of some items can sell more at auction on eb*y than if purchased new from reputable bee suppliers.

Were you aware a lot of leisure items make higher prices at weekends? As a buyer, if your items are listed regularly it's always worth 'scouting' and watching what items are making over a few days before bidding yourself.

There is a whole marketing world out there that revolves around the online auctions. Look for traders who have many of the same items in over time with different listing types. Some are 'buy now', some are auctions - often started at daily intervals or different finish times. Some have variants of description to pick up different search terms, or variants in price and p&p charges. There are even people actually selling this basic marketing strategy as if it's some hidden secret, known only to the initiated.

Remember auctions are always started by the seller, not the buyer. They are just one way of attracting a buyers attention. There is no reason why items should always be cheaper in an auction than any other sales channel.

A Paynes poly nuc went for 28 last night, only been used for a couple of seasons :)rolleyes:), new from Paynes I think they are 27.50 :cool:

...and today, a brand new one went for £17 + £20 postage, interestingly it had received several bids as well.

Latest posts

Back