Epipens, their use and possible dangers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you need an Epipen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
no

There are a number of threads on this do a quick search and a few will come up

No. But I believe carrying an Epipen has become rather fashionable. There are plenty who are mistaking 'normal reactions' to bee venom as something more serious.

No. But I believe carrying an Epipen has become rather fashionable. There are plenty who are mistaking 'normal reactions' to bee venom as something more serious.

:iagree:
Yes, if I get stung i usually swellup and itch like nothing else, especially if on the face.

All good fun for the lads at work though, and usually my own fault!

Swelling and itching is normal its if you get stung and react elsewhere you need to look into it more

My wife has had an anaphylactic reaction when one bee got through a tiny tear and stung her on the neck. Had been stung plenty times before no probs. this one caused itching, restricted breathing and welts all over. I have epipen in car always now. As I occasionally teach and show people how a beehive works, I have one in case. If you take anybody else to your apiary, in my mind it becomes your responsibility if they get stung and go anaphylactic.
Regards clint

No. I'm not aware of whether, or not, I need one.

No. I don't carry one.

My first aid qualification expired a long time ago - after I left St John. I would not use an epipen on someone unless:
  • I knew beyond doubt it was theirs and they wanted me to do so, or,
  • it had appeared from 'somewhere' and an ambulance service dispatcher recommended I use it after confirming that the victim's reaction is most likely anaphylaxis and a crew is being/has been dispatched.
Yes. I intend to renew my first aid qualification within the next few months.

Added: Basic beekeeping course starts on Saturday. The question about how the teaching beeks deal with previously unknown anaphylaxis in a student (or anyone else) will be asked if it doesn't get covered before someone says "any questions?"

Last edited:
i toyed with the idea of geting one for emergencys but instead have got the mobile number of both the local doc and the local health nurse both of whom have acess to them and they are less than 5 mins from me and in extreme case can meet me half way. so 2.5mins that added to always having the mobile with me and usualy not being at the bees alone i think covers me well.

if i was in a teachin capacity i might have persued it further but would worry a lot about liability

you should only carry an epipen if you are properly diagnosed as being hypersensitive to bee stings, just because someone swells up or itches as a physiological reaction to the bite stimulus does not indicate a propensity towards full anaphylaxis.

It can be just as dangerous to use an epipen without proper medical advise on a person just on the off chance they may be having an attack, it is a high concentrate of adrenaline as I understand is quite a shock to the system

Tony:D

Sorry, but this poll is sillier than most.

An epipen is a prescription medication.
Like Insulin.
And, like insulin, its beyond 'not safe', its actually bloody dangerous to go round jabbing it into strangers.

If your Doc thinks you need one, then carry it always. But I'd bet money the Doc didn't prescribe it for you to jab into other people ...

Should I get a defibrillator before I go to watch my next footie match? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but this poll is sillier than most.

An epipen is a prescription medication.
Like Insulin.
And, like insulin, its beyond 'not safe', its actually bloody dangerous to go round jabbing it into strangers.

If your Doc thinks you need one, then carry it always. But I'd bet money the Doc didn't prescribe it for you to jab into other people ...

Should I get a defibrillator before I go to watch my next footie match? :rolleyes:

There are defibrillators in the two nearest towns to me - and we were all sent instructions, by the town mayor, on how to use one.:cool:

There are defibrillators in the two nearest towns to me - and we were all sent instructions, by the town mayor, on how to use one.:cool:
There's been a programme of installing defibs in town centres etc for many years now. The security staff are trained to use them.

Most, if not all, community first-aiders also have them. They can often get to heart failure/attack casualties before the paramedics - especially in rural areas.

The defibs are automatic. Once the sticky pads are attached the machine checks for a pulse and will not shock if it finds one. For this reason they're safer than epipens which will inject their contents even if they don't need to if a 'helpful' member of the public sticks one in.

No - but i do have a handy supply of proper "full fat" adrenaline and steroids on hand in my first aid kits, along with full resus kit.

No - but i do have a handy supply of proper "full fat" adrenaline and steroids on hand in my first aid kits, along with full resus kit.

:iagree:
I do have my own supply of adrenalin ;)

.....An epipen is a prescription medication.
Like Insulin.
And, like insulin, its beyond 'not safe', its actually bloody dangerous to go round jabbing it into strangers. .....I'd bet money the Doc didn't prescribe it for you to jab into other people ...

We too have a defibrillator in the village it is cared for by volunteers who have all been properly trained and muster to a rota. Whilst the defibrillator has been deemed a necessary precaution, epipens are quite rightly kept safely with the fully trained who can diagnose A.S. and administer epinephrine
i.e. Doctors, Para-Medics and those with severe allergies.

Some members on here were inclined to think of the epipen as a "must have item" for the enthusiastic beekeeper/wanabe first aider.
The possession of these potentially lethal devices appearing, (at least to me) to be viewed as a rather fashionable piece of essential beekeeping equipment. Something that just must be had, even at the expense of making false claims to acquire the necessary prescription from their GP.

I hoped this poll might provoke responses from Pharmacists and the medical profession that would enlighten those with their ill gotten cure-all, waiting for the first opportunity to use their much cherished gadget.
The poll may also give an indication of what is out there, in the hands of someone whose (well meaning) negligence might easily kill!!

Sorry It's the wrong poll for me, It should be could you have saved somebodies life if you had an epi pen

any fool that carries an epi pen because they think they need it rather than under a strict doctors instruction, or has GOT ONE AS PART OF A FIRST AID KIT wants shooting

the worst ones has to be the fools who have managed to talk a quack into getting them one just incase, if some one did use it in that case they should be charged with assualt at least if not shoot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, twice and then hung three times, before being shot again just in case

any fool that carries an epi pen because they think they need it rather than under a strict doctors instruction, or has GOT ONE AS PART OF A FIRST AID KIT wants shooting

the worst ones has to be the fools who have managed to talk a quack into getting them one just incase, if some one did use it in that case they should be charged with assualt at least if not shoot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, twice and then hung three times, before being shot again just in case

OOooo! you Bitchhh !! :willy_nilly: :smilielol5::smilielol5:
VM

I was under the impression you can't administer it to someone if it isn't prescribed to them anyway and that is only in dire emergency and if there is noone qualified able to administer within a sensible time frame. As far as I'm aware it isnt legal to have them in a first aid kit unless you are medically trained to the appropriate level anyway.

Latest posts

Back