Emergency response vs OTS queen rearing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaconWizard

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
Ok, so been reading-up about OTS queen rearing with interest. All understood, but it raises a question for me:

If pulling-down the cell walls is needed for OTS, then does this indicate that the emergency response in other situations is unreliable? (assuming there are enough eggs, nurse bees etc)
Using emergency response in particular I would much rather that the bees chose the egg/larva than me (recent studies show that they favour an egg with the most diverse genetics, and there are circumstances in which this would be my preference also)

EDIT: Most grateful for the responses so-far, but to be more clear; My question in summary is: Is notching really necessary, since it doesn't happen that way in non-managed situations, or is it hit-and-miss whether an emergency response will actually happen?

Last edited:
There’s a few thoughts on emergency cells I’ve seen it shown in some research they’ll produce smaller queens in fact the lightest of all methods and that does have an influence on ovaries size.
I did see in 1 paper it was speculated that in emergency cells built on the face of the comb a large amount of royal jelly is used to float the larvae out the worker cell, so not accessible for consumption. I think this was alleviated by tearing down the cells below.

As to the bees choosing what genetics to favour I graft and in good conditions they don’t appear that fussy. They’re more than likely simply favouring their own genetics and not necessarily what would be the best queen.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpeg
    IMG_0449.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0403.jpeg
    IMG_0403.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0

This video has information about emergency cells and how the workers tear down the queen larvae that are too old. Thinning the herd. As an aside on occasions I've allowed the emergency response to rear queens and they have lasted for 4 years.

There’s a few thoughts on emergency cells I’ve seen it shown in some research they’ll produce smaller queens in fact the lightest of all methods and that does have an influence on ovaries size.
I did see in 1 paper it was speculated that in emergency cells built on the face of the comb a large amount of royal jelly is used to float the larvae out the worker cell, so not accessible for consumption. I think this was alleviated by tearing down the cells below.

As to the bees choosing what genetics to favour I graft and in good conditions they don’t appear that fussy. They’re more than likely simply favouring their own genetics and not necessarily what would be the best queen.
They favour the genetics furthest away from their own. But my question is whether the response itself is unreliable; nobody "in nature" is notching the comb to elicit that response; I am wondering if it's really necessary or not.

Perhaps, when left to their own devices, they don't always get busy with it and miss the window, becoming hopelessly queenless and end-up laying drones.

I am wondering if it's really necessary or not.
This depends on what you are doing as the beekeeper. If you want single cells then notching or culling the cells either side is useful and then placing them into hives or nucs. If you don't mind 2, 4 or 6 cells stuck together and wait for the first queen to emerge is your choice.

Latest posts

Back