elimentary hefting question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
so hefting the brood box to gauge weight/amount of stores

do you heft with stand/floor?

any time ive tried to lift the brood box, either to narrow the entrance block or whatever, as soon as i separate the brood box from the floor (which i always find hard) bees poor out of the opening and when i put it back down i squash loads of bees and they go mad

if hefting is only brood box and not floor, how do people avoid bees pouring out in number

I put my hand under the stand (single hive stand) and heft the full lot..if they feel like they are glued to the floor it is a good sign.. after the winter stores have been fed i will then weigh them properly with my fishing scales...i weigh one side and then the opposite side and then add the two weights together..if they are around 100lb in weight they do not normally need any additional fondant during winter..

You will find life much easier in a number of ways if you attach your brood box to the floor using spring fasteners available from all leading bee suppliers.

I lift the whole hive, floor b box and lid from one side. You will get used to what feels a good weight. If unsure put a screw in the side of the floor and use luggage scales to lift.

I aim to get my 14 x 12 hives to 17-20kg per side.

Lift from the back under the floor tipping forwards. You only have to lift it an inch.
E

Why the back.. i lift/heft from the sides to eliminate traffic problems rather than front and back. ? .

On a national it's easier to get your hand underneath the floor at the back and then heft by tilting forward gently.
I don't tend to lift/weigh the whole box when hefting, just tilt.

I heft without the roof on both sides I prefer to do it when there's not to much traffic ie.. early morning or evenings
It's not easy to guess hive weights so ive screwed hooks in all four corners of the hive floors and use luggage scales to lift each side no more than an inch.
I also use spare supers as my stands which are attached to paving via L hinges/straps .
Doing the process above doesn't create any bee's getting skwished.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter whether the roof is on or off, or if you lift the stand as well. The important thing is to be consistent.

It doesn't matter whether the roof is on or off, or if you lift the stand as well. The important thing is to be consistent.

I agree but it's less weight to add in to the equation.

can you screw in a cup hook to a poly hive ?

for those with paynes poly floors ...

are you able to screw in a cup hook to lift the hive for the scales ?

or do you just use a ratchet strap to wrap under the hive ?

Back