Electric spray gun

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
I have never used one but would a electric spray gun be any good for painting hives? I have loads to make this winter and painting seems to take for ever and I got thinking: ) anyone tried them? I have wooden and poly boxes to paint..

A four inch paint roller works too! It will be cheaper and easier to use than a gun and compressor.

I used a roller and to be honest, it took ages! I need to speed painting up. Looking at the you tube link, spraying looks a lot easier, cheers for that: )

It should be faster and easier. In the video he holds the gun too close (I have painted Jaguars, McLarens amongst many others) I would think ~6 inches to be the optimum distance. That will eliminate the "Patchy" effect you can see.

Looks like a nice sunny day, here in "rainyland" it might be wiser to do it inside.

The more you do at once the more efficient you will be. So "Productionise" it, get everything ready and go! :)

Airless spray pump with a non toxic eco friendly paint is the way to go especially on polly,
Some of the exterior wall paints are suitable, but be mindful that some may contain a filler compound that tends to clog up the spray nozzle.

Avoid the hand held "vibro motor" devices that are a lot cheaper.. but do not hold much paint amd being aimed at DIY market... fall apart, I have owned several!

Will try and post link to the airless device I have.

Yeghes da

Cheers hopit, would be most grateful

Cheers hopit, would be most grateful

eBay item number:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

This is a Graco... mine is a bit older!

I think the manufacturers in China make a few similar models badged Rotenbach which cost half and guns, filters etc fit OK

May not be suitable for solvent based paints.. which need to be sprayed thinly with a lot of volatile thinners.

Whichever way you go... PLEASE wear a suitable breathing mask.

Had a paint spraying contractor go silly in the head on solvent ( not wearing a mask!)
incredible job done fleck spray painting the underground lavatories in Victoria... doors... ceilings... urinals... everything!
Cost the firm a fortune to clear up!!!

Yeghes da

Will take a look, cheers for taking the time to find one.

Splatter more than spray !!

Nos da

Yep ... completely useless. But an arirless pump is a bit over the top .. I ran a paint spraying company for many years ... the best option ia a turbine HVLP system like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuji-HVLP...913765?hash=item2f0c7bf765:g:sTsAAOSwvvRZ1NVP

Very versatile bit of kit and you can adjust the fan on the spray gun so that you get virtually no overspray ... will spray most paint materials with appropriate thinnng. We used them a lot for in-situ spray jobs .. airless is fine if you want to cover big areas but it's a sledgehammer to crack a walnut for bee hive painting.

Obviously you gents have never use them...they spray my poly hives fine and with little time and effort.
Worth remembering you are sticking paint onto bits of wood not paining a Van Gogh! At a tenner each good value for money.

Obviously you gents have never use them...they spray my poly hives fine and with little time and effort.
Worth remembering you are sticking paint onto bits of wood not paining a Van Gogh! At a tenner each good value for money.

Well ... not sure what type of paint you are using but if you are talking about a common or garden pump sprayer designed to spray insecticides and weedkillers they will only spray very watery solutions - even those designed for coating fence panels will only cope with the watery stuff they supply for use with them.

Try putting exterior emulsion through one or any thicker wood paints and they don't work - they just clog up and the paint spatters - So ... YES I have tried to use one for paint ... totally useless and I had te throw the thing away as it was virtually impossible to clean it out.

Tell us your secrey BS ... how do you manage it and what paint are you using ?

I have used them to good effect for spraying the garden fence, not the weed killer spray type but the proper ones for the job of spraying wood preserver, a tip for anyone using one make sure it is not a windy day, after the last job i did with one i was happy with how tidy it was until i noticed the neighbours windows which was a pain in the arse to clean of..:spy:

Well ... not sure what type of paint you are using but if you are talking about a common or garden pump sprayer designed to spray insecticides and weedkillers they will only spray very watery solutions - even those designed for coating fence panels will only cope with the watery stuff they supply for use with them.

Try putting exterior emulsion through one or any thicker wood paints and they don't work - they just clog up and the paint spatters - So ... YES I have tried to use one for paint ... totally useless and I had te throw the thing away as it was virtually impossible to clean it out.

Tell us your secrey BS ... how do you manage it and what paint are you using ?

No secrets Pargle just a fence sprayer and cheap Wilkinson's Masonry paint. But don't paint anymore as use ready painted poly hives.

No secrets Pargle just a fence sprayer and cheap Wilkinson's Masonry paint. But don't paint anymore as use ready painted poly hives.

Eeeeseeeay peeasey to use a brush when you only have 6 to paint.....
have 50 new CWJ Keilers to finish... now what paint to use and which colour.

Cheapest C***** ol colours on ebay... but not that sea sick pea green !!:hairpull::hairpull:

Yeghes da

have 50 new CWJ Keilers to finish... now what paint to use and which colour.

Cheapest C***** ol colours on ebay... but not that sea sick pea green !!:hairpull::hairpull:

Yeghes da

Just paint them and be quiet,,:laughing-smiley-004.. 50 new boxes should be done in a couple of days but if you get the right tools it will be done in hours, or buy them ready painted.

Yeghes da

If you spray you need to prepare an area, mask to prevent overspray e.t.c.

W.T.F. is wrong with a good old fashioned 3" paintbrush?
Or don't be tight & buy Cedar boxes??

If you spray you need to prepare an area, mask to prevent overspray e.t.c.

W.T.F. is wrong with a good old fashioned 3" paintbrush?

Or don't be tight & buy Cedar boxes??

It’s not as quick as a new 6” brush.

Like Rolf Harris used to use............

What ever happened to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back