Electric extractor recommendation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Königin 8 frame tangential extractor, I'm really please with it, no more frame 'blow-outs', it runs so smooth. I can uncap 8 frames using the Abelo Steam knife system by the time its run through its 3 cycles. I love it - 16 hives to be reduce to 10 this winter!

Hope this helps.

From my investigations earlier this year my choice was either Abelo or Konigin. In the end I went for Konigin due to price as they both look brilliantly constructed.
I extremely pleased with my 12 frame which I use on my 30ish hives.

A big thumbs up for the Lyson (Abelo) 20 frame extractor. It may be too big for your requirements though. A 9 frame radial is plenty big enough for 12 hives.

:iagree:...but never too big. The longest bit is uncapping the first 20 frames. How I ever managed with a 9 frame radial is beyond me.

20 frame seems a bit too large for 15 hives, I was thinking about 9 - 12 frame extractors. Does that sound about right?

Mark.

There may be a time when you decide to run more colonies. Perhaps it’s best to have a bit of spare capacity for a couple of hundred quid?

20 frame seems a bit too large for 15 hives, I was thinking about 9 - 12 frame extractors. Does that sound about right?

Mark.

I have a 8 frame extractor but my supers hold 10 so i would prefare a ten frame extractor over the eight so i could get a full super done in one go and straight into a 10ltr bucket..i can get away with the eight frame extractor but i always have to do one extra extraction with the odd frames i have left at the end..

Keep your eye on Ebay for beeks giving up after harvest ?

I picked up a 10 frame Taylors of Welwyn ss electric off a downsizing beek 2 years ago for £350 - runs like a dream compared to whirling your arm off all summer :winner1st:

Giordan are a quality brand. I have a 9 frame radial and its fab.

Wow, looks nice but well beyond my "Hobby" budget (at least if SWMBO asks about the cost). :svengo:

However my Tin-plate 4 framed Tangental has been on my "in need of replacement" list for some time now, so always looking/bidding on fleabay.

I picked up a 10 frame Taylors of Welwyn ss electric for £350 :winner1st:

Did you outbid me?????????????/

Last edited:
I have a 8 frame extractor but my supers hold 10 so i would prefare a ten frame extractor over the eight so i could get a full super done in one go and straight into a 10ltr bucket..i can get away with the eight frame extractor but i always have to do one extra extraction with the odd frames i have left at the end..

If you have 4 supers, that will fit nicely into 5 runs of the extractor, with no remainder. :eek:

If honey is out of a tinplated extractor its not fit for sale!

PH

There is also the question of wastage - if you only want to extract say 10 or 20 frames, then a large extractor will waste a larger percentage than say a 4 frame tangential.

If honey is out of a tinplated extractor its not fit for sale!

PH

My current extractor is plastic/stainless steel but can anyone explain why tinplate has such a restriction when it's been used for years to make cans for a wide variety of foodstuffs (including various acidic products)?

As mentioned before abelo have a 20 frame on sale they only had 3 left and I had 1...no idea if they are getting more in kinda got the impression that was it for the sale. At that price they are cheaper than many smaller machines

As mentioned before abelo have a 20 frame on sale they only had 3 left and I had 1...no idea if they are getting more in kinda got the impression that was it for the sale. At that price they are cheaper than many smaller machines

Bugger. It's less than I paid for mine a few years ago...They are very good.
Just ask Damien to programme the acceleration to slow. I blew my first frame this season...had solid honey behind runny. Got to speed 7/10 before the wobbles set in and the frame blew. Bloody stable machines even when unevenly loaded...but not miracle workers on unevenly loaded :)

Back