Elasticated Horse Leg Bandage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had to move a colony of bees which had taken up residence in some abandoned MD hives. I went up yesterday to strap them up and reduce the entrances and then was back again in the evening to do the moving. I walked in quietly round the back of the hive and swiftly poked my piece of foam in the remaining small entrance and then went back to my van to get the wheels. I came back to find rather p***ed off bees pouring out of gaps where the floor wasn't as strong or wholesome as it should have been. The hives were in a gloomy overgrown coppice so spotting such flaws was difficult. Ten minutes later they were hanging from the roof, so I gave up and came home. The rain being in my favour I went in again this afternoon armed with an elasticated horse leg bandage. I pinned it at the back and wound it swiftly round, pinning in delicate places and pulling tight. It was long enough to go round the hive twice so had a good coverage. By the time I had gone a mile along a bumpy track and then on to my field about a dozen had escaped, but it was a good ploy and the bandage is now part of my kit.

Frisbee

top tip for moving hives - cheap mozzie nets - ikea or ebay - less than a tenner. can wrap several hives in one and the bees can't escape. makes journeys much more enjoyable!!!

Sounds a good idea.
I usually use duck tape (50mm wide).

Latest posts

Back