ekes to convert to 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 plus a few 14x 12s, nukes and apidea
I looking for a thoughtful design ( with measurements) for ekes to convert standard nationals to 14x12's something light but strong enough to be permanently attached or at least well enough attached to move brood chambers easily.
anybody point me or advise me?

Isn't that eke a half super one? For 14 x 12 you probably need one 89 or 90mm deep, all the other measurements the same.

yes but he does state the following:

"There is also another size of British Standard frame known as a 14" x 12" and a standard 225 mm broodbox plus a 75 mm eke will take these with a slight encroachment on the space within the floorboard."

or just copy the design but add 15mm to the depth of side pieces.

Isn't that eke a half super one? For 14 x 12 you probably need one 89 or 90mm deep, all the other measurements the same.

I cant see that it makes sense, why would I make a new eke with runners etc, when the existing brood box has all that kit. If I extend at the bottom of the brOod box surely it becomes a much simpler design ?

you can put your eke where you want it. Mine are above and lock into the brood box but others can be much simpler if that is what you want.

Dr s, size was posted as i have sen this error in an eke this month by a non beekeeper woodworker!

:iagree:

if it were me i'd just knock one up with 2 thin sides and 2 fat ends. no fancy woodworking needed. then just use something to attach to brood box bottom.

if it were me i'd just knock one up with 2 thin sides and 2 fat ends. no fancy woodworking needed. then just use something to attach to brood box bottom.

So what's the consensus on the size 89cm / 90 cm , Im probably going to knock up a batch so would rather get it right first time.

So what's the consensus on the size 89cm / 90 cm , Im probably going to knock up a batch so would rather get it right first time.

I don't think it is too important. I used some lengths of 19x94mm - two 460 lengths for the sides, four 422mm lengths at the ends with a strip of 6mm for a spacer, and offset by 8mm to create a lip. Works fine. I put mine under the brood box.

because the lie

because they will only sell you 10 bags

because they will charge you 30% more than you ordered at and think it fine

because they lie

because they just don't listen

because they lie

because they don't do what they say.....:(

"because they will only sell you 10 bags"

i bought 20x2kg instore tonight.

my excuse? - because i live an ephemeral existence and can't sort deliveries plus I had an £8 off a £40 shop sainsburys voucher that "they" honour and expired today. so still £2 in my favour.

I had 42 bags delivered but their excuse on why they could not deliver any is I ordered more than 10 :rolleyes:. The right hand didn't know what the left was doing....bunch on complete imcompetents. I have sent it all back and received several apologies. I have / will cancel a mobile / phone line with them and doubt I will buy much from them in the future re provisions / petrol. I suspect they have lost over 12,000 pounds of business this year over how they felt fit to treat me. Great business, glad I don't invest in Tescos.

I suspect they have lost over 12,000 pounds of business this year over how they felt fit to treat me.

Interesting observation Nicola - with 16 weeks until the end of the year, are you implying that you will be depriving big-T of around £750 per week between now and 31 December?

Or have you been having an average spend of £333 per week from 01 January this year? Not that you seem to have said or implied this directly of course.

:dupe:

Even at £230 a week spend at big-T, I suggest that going elsewhere is more likely to be more of a shock to your system than to their's. Sounds like you worshiped at the temple of big-T for a long time I suspect.

Talk about a woman having been scorned !

Amazing! Tesco's sugar on a 14 x 12 eke thread. How/why do they do that?

I simply mimic the box above. Thinner side bars, but sufficient to screw to the box above. You can fill the old bee space at the bottom of the top box easily enough - my ekes are easier, in that respect, as the boxes are all top bee space anyway. Side bars are not now morticed (first ones were), just butted in place and screwerd through to hold everything in position. Simple, easy, and no plans needed.

RAB

Interesting observation Nicola - with 16 weeks until the end of the year, are you implying that you will be depriving big-T of around £750 per week between now and 31 December?

Or have you been having an average spend of £333 per week from 01 January this year? Not that you seem to have said or implied this directly of course.

:dupe:

Even at £230 a week spend at big-T, I suggest that going elsewhere is more likely to be more of a shock to your system than to their's. Sounds like you worshiped at the temple of big-T for a long time I suspect.

Talk about a woman having been scorned !

My name is Nic, not Nicola :( and I am not female. £100 per week on groceries minimum not including special occasions. £5200 per year minumum. Two cars, one £80 per week and £50 per week on fuel. £6760 per year. £5200 and £6760 is £11960 minimum. It ain't rocket science :cool:

Yer Nicola,i bet you been trying to bribe the manager of yer local Tesco's,to try and get some cheapo sugar with that 40 quid you got left over. :biggrinjester:

They lost my vote as well Nic, I completely lost interest.

Last edited:
Back