eke full

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandyrob

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I put a three inch eke on in the beginning of Feb and fed 5kg fondant. I went to check the fondant and one hive has used the fondant and filled the eke with comb. Eleven nice neat combs from top bars of brood box to the crown board. Should I put a super on or check the amount of brood first?
Regards
Andrew

I put a three inch eke on in the beginning of Feb and fed 5kg fondant. I went to check the fondant and one hive has used the fondant and filled the eke with comb. Eleven nice neat combs from top bars of brood box to the crown board. Should I put a super on or check the amount of brood first?
Regards
Andrew

no super yet, but next time put the crown board on the brood box and the eke above the crown board not below it , then fondant in the eke over the feed hole/porter hole in the frown board

All your bees are doing is filling up the spacewith brace comb and wasting fondant/energy making wax to do it

Last edited:
Hi J&R
This happens to me in Autumn from time to time when I treat for varroa.
If you leave the eke full of comb, it makes inspection really difficult so I would take off the comb.
I did that very thing at the weekend. It's not difficult, just a little messy.
Cazza

Thank muswell you just read your reply and a little voice just said to my self " you should have known that stupid "
Regards
Andrew

Last edited:
Hi J&R
This happens to me in Autumn from time to time when I treat for varroa.
If you leave the eke full of comb, it makes inspection really difficult so I would take off the comb.
I did that very thing at the weekend. It's not difficult, just a little messy.
Cazza

Thank you have done that so at least Iv done some thing right
Regards
Andrew

Back