Eggs in the supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witchcraft

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two of my hives have gone weird on me:

Hive one eggs in the supers - none in the BB. - Shook all of the bees (and the misplaced Q I guess) back into the BB, replaced the QE - hopefully sorted though I took a sting to the nose in the process - bloody wind.

Hive two - Eggs and BIAS in BB, eggs and larvae in supers. QE in place. Single eggs laid nicely at the bottom of the cells, all worker - which is interesting as the Q in the BB lays a lot of drone.

... I can put hive 1 down to my hamfisted beekeeping (Q on QE and then replaced the wrong way up I imagine) but I can't fathom what is happening in hive 2.

I passed my basic last month and feel I know less not more all of the time :-(

Initial thought would be faulty QE or small queen getting through it.

You may have had a supersedure occur in colony 2 with old queen down in the BB laying those drones and the daughter Queen upstairs in the super laying a good pattern of worker eggs. She would have had to mate before you put the excluder on so there is still the question to ask about how she got up there. Beginners often get queens in supers (and lose them when they clear the supers for extraction!)

Alternatively you may be getting drone brood in the BB because there is alot of drone cells on the combs down in the bb and you have a slim queen or faulty queen excluder allowing her to go through it into the super and lay there as well as in the BB.

or workers moving eggs...
or a Queen that quantum tunnels through the QX. :)

QX provide only an imperfect step function in the egg probability distribution.

Two years ago a beek on one of the association apiaries kept finding her queen in the supers....would remove and put back in bb only to find it back in the supers the next inspection...she thought she was losing it :)
It was just a very slim queen and after about six weeks all turned out ok after it had fattened up a bit more.

You may have had a supersedure occur in colony 2 with old queen down in the BB laying those drones and the daughter Queen upstairs in the super laying a good pattern of worker eggs. She would have had to mate before you put the excluder on so there is still the question to ask about how she got up there. Beginners often get queens in supers (and lose

My thoughts too - I'll go through it carefully and see if I can find her, if this is the case it's goodbye to her mother...

Latest posts

Back