eggs but no queen?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
24 + a few nucs....this has to stop!
It has been discussed here recently but cannot find the thread. I have a hive which swarmed with the virgin from the only queen cell I had left post AS. On inspection today again I cannot find a queen but can see really small patches of open brood and also eggs (single) in a few cells. There are also a couple of charged cells and I found in the super above the Qx 2 frames with a bit of open drone brood + 1 charged cell. I have been looking in that hive for over 2 weeks (with a break in between) and cannot spot a queen or what may look like a queen. I think I may wait for the open brood to be capped to see what is what but I don't have hopes for this hive. I certainly don't want more queens from this line and don't want to risk uniting. If I can't find a queen, is it better to just shake them out once I know if I have worker or drone brood?

It has been discussed here recently but cannot find the thread. I have a hive which swarmed with the virgin from the only queen cell I had left post AS. On inspection today again I cannot find a queen but can see really small patches of open brood and also eggs (single) in a few cells. There are also a couple of charged cells and I found in the super above the Qx 2 frames with a bit of open drone brood + 1 charged cell. I have been looking in that hive for over 2 weeks (with a break in between) and cannot spot a queen or what may look like a queen. I think I may wait for the open brood to be capped to see what is what but I don't have hopes for this hive. I certainly don't want more queens from this line and don't want to risk uniting. If I can't find a queen, is it better to just shake them out once I know if I have worker or drone brood?

You can't tell, just by looking at them, if they are worker/drone eggs, so, wait until they are sealed. If you see sealed worker brood, you know that there is a mated queen in there somewhere - you just haven't seen her. If they are sealed drone drone brood, shake them out.

You can't tell, just by looking at them, if they are worker/drone eggs, so, wait until they are sealed. If you see sealed worker brood, you know that there is a mated queen in there somewhere - you just haven't seen her. If they are sealed drone drone brood, shake them out.
That's what I was planning to do Paul. At least if there is worker brood I can spend more time looking for a queen, remove her and unite as I have 6 frames worth of bees (albeit getting on a bit now).

I had one lot up and clear off last Friday, this was four weeks after leaving them one cell. I can't tell you what happened because I was happily letting them get on with it and in no rush to check for a laying queen. There's a nucleus sized colony of bees left but absolutely no brood at all, just a dubious looking, fat cell. I'll look in on Friday and probably reunite with mother by the look of it.

Clear signs........ heart breaking.... I have seen worse,,,,, but this is all I could find with regards to pics...layig worker 3.jpg
Hope it helps someone.....
Shook them out and they all went on to be a very productive colony.....

Attachments

• 20201111_170405.jpg
    20201111_170405.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
  • laying worker1.jpg
    laying worker1.jpg
    984.1 KB · Views: 31
Just to double check, the hive to shake out has 6 full frames of bees. I am just wondering if it is not too many bees to beg their way into another hive, likely to be the ones on either side of the original position? Can I remove the hive, replace with a new one with foundation, shake out 10-20 yards away and unite this with a queen right colony in the evening?

Latest posts

Back