EFB already?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've just had an email from our SBI (or what looks like another SBI who may be covering our area in addition to her own patch) asking to inspect some of my colonies as they've just found a case of EFB locally :( Can't believe that I've barely got through my first inspections and we're having to worry about this already.

James

I've just had an email from our SBI (or what looks like another SBI who may be covering our area in addition to her own patch) asking to inspect some of my colonies as they've just found a case of EFB locally :( Can't believe that I've barely got through my first inspections and we're having to worry about this already.

James
That is not good news James. How local to you was it?

That is not good news James. How local to you was it?

I think it must be pretty much on the limit of the 3km listed in Beebase. I'd left a couple of potential sites in the database that eventually came to nothing which allows me to get a reasonable triangulation of the source (unless of course there is more than one).

James

James
Thanks for the heads up

James
The bees would be under stress.

I know the SBI wants to inspect hives in Bridgwater too. I have given up my out apiary there so doesn't affect my current hives but have given a heads up the beekeepers I know in the area

I know the SBI wants to inspect hives in Bridgwater too. I have given up my out apiary there so doesn't affect my current hives but have given a heads up the beekeepers I know in the area
It must be bad if she wants to go to Bridgwater! 🤪

That's weird, I am in-between the two and have heard nothing

Here is the current year EFB from NBU website by 10km gridsquare:

Attachments

• IMG_1124.png
    IMG_1124.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
Someone near me found it in one of their hives last week, confirmed by SBI this week. Berkshire. We've had awful weather, temperatures up and down, some colonies are really low on stores, some showing chilled brood. All very stressful for the bees.

Thanks, not brigewater then.
She rang me about two weeks ago due to disease in the area, maybe not efb then. It was for my hives that were based by the ymca so Durlegh side of Bridgwater.

That's weird, I am in-between the two and have heard nothing
When I told her where my other hives are (on the Somerset levels) she said they were fine and she didnt need to visit there.

Looks like there was plenty of EFB around the Bridgewater area last year, so inspector is probably still checking to see if it is still in the area.

You can examine where EFB is this year and was (still is??) last year on the NBU website here: https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/diseases-and-pests/reports-charts-and-maps/maps-2/

Turn on the EFB layer and then set the date slider to the timescale you are interested in.

James

You should get such bee population which is immune to EFB

Another "EFB within 3km" warning last night. That's the third outbreak reported in a fortnight or thereabouts. There seems to be a persistent problem in the area to the south east of me, though possibly that's just because the colony density (as reported by the NBU) is much higher.

James

Back