Economising on foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyhook

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Having got further with my researches into wax exchange, I'm not that impressed with the exchange rates, and I'm getting fed up with spending lots on foundation.

I'm therefore thinking of trying either starter strips or super foundation in my 14 x 12 brood frames. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did it go? I'm hoping not to wire the frames- is this being silly? I'm hoping I could avoid large amounts of drone by adding the frames in late summer, when drones are reducing.

I use starter strips on shallow frames, sometimes use a triangle of wax on brood frames. Deep brood frames probably need wiring because when the comb is warm it can collapse during an inspection.

PM sent.

I regret using unwired, but not starter strips. Unwired BS frames sag during inspection.

There's a few on here who, like me, are foundationless with a variety of starter strips ... have a look at Tom Bicks thread on foundationless beekeeping. I wire my 14 x 12 frames horizontally ... it's not difficult and you can get the wire and crimping pliers from China via ebay very cheaply (compared to the cost of foundation).

I've not had any problems with letting them build their own comb ... and you know the wax in the combs is better than anything you can buy commercially.

Having got further with my researches into wax exchange, I'm not that impressed with the exchange rates, and I'm getting fed up with spending lots on foundation.

I'm therefore thinking of trying either starter strips or super foundation in my 14 x 12 brood frames. Has anyone tried this, and if so, how did it go? I'm hoping not to wire the frames- is this being silly? I'm hoping I could avoid large amounts of drone by adding the frames in late summer, when drones are reducing.

You will be well advised to wire the frames unless you like walking on egg shells as 14x12 unwired frames will be difficult to handle.Its not that difficult and strong fishing line works just as well. You will defiantly save some money and perhaps even have a more interesting beekeeping experience watching the bees build comb in the frames. But you will have to prepare yourself for the amount of drones and perhaps something you have been told is bad for the hive but in my experience not.
This thread is worth looking at if you are considering foundationless frames.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=27494

and I'm getting fed up with spending lots on foundation.

Then make your own, be happy in the knowledge you are using your own uncontaminated wax and save a few bob over the years too. Both pressed or rolled homemade foundation can be more than adequate and the equipment needn't cost the earth.

Sorry, but you have to wire the frames. I have tried all the variations, superfoundation, strips, even Standard brood box foundation. If it is not wired you will end up with an empty frame in your hand and a mess of comb and bees on the ground or in your hive. I use strips on my Standard frames without any wires - no problem and the bees love it to bits.

Good way to find an elusive queen, put a strip of foundation in the hive and wait a day or two - chances are you will find her there, or on an adjacent frame.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks guys. A really helpful response- and a surprising amount of concensus! I think I might try 'wiring' with fishing line then using unwired super foundation, cut diagonally in half. I'm thinking of doing it around Sepember, which I know is ITLD's favourite time for replacing brood frames.

It's true about the drones, my place sounds like an airport in the afternoon with thousands and thousands of them however this is what they do naturally and I can't see how that could be a bad thing. One things for sure my virgin queens don't have a problem getting humped.

I guess as usual if you are a neurotic or concerned about how much honey they take foundation-less may not be for you. I wire whichever way and as I said on another thread on the rare occasions when I need to remove brood frames I keep the frame vertical, (old school).

Brood-box-frames-with-starter-strips_zps1fb53b7c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dadantbeehiveframewithfoundationstrip_zpscb9ecd23.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Dadanthiveframenofoundation_zps2494d96a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Chris

Back