Ebay fraudulent listings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulgeoffrey

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All,

Just to make you aware that the following listings in the beekeeping section of Ebay are fraudulent.

Items 251373258959, 251373255243 and 251373253495 all posted by Rostislavchoo.

The pictures are all my stock photos and are being used without my permission.

The first one is described as a Langstroth but are actually photos of my old style commercials, the next are my Nationals and the last are of my WBC's

It is clearly a con as the advertised prices are far too cheap, claims to be made here in the UK but has an overseas contact number. So please be very, very wary.

I have reported this to Ebay.

Paul

I would get that all the time when I used to sell on ebay until I watermarked all my photos

haha...yes, same here....I messaged one guy and asked him when he broke into my house to take his photos :)
Got an apology and he said he would take the pics down, I was just pleased to get the quick reply and apology so told him he could keep using the photos for his listing.

I have a photographer friend who sends an invoice for unauthorised use of his photos. Does work most of the time.

most find them on Google Images, and are unaware of where Google got them from! I keep finding pictures of my platinum angelfish keep turning up on eBay, and even had three eBayers tell me there are definately their fish in their tanks...until I refer ebay to my website, and images, they quickly get the listings stopped! As for payment, only had two people send me £10!

if interested pictures are here a little off bee topic!

http://andysworld.org.uk/2005/11/03/platinum-angelfish-second-spawning/

Last edited:
Very pretty fish, Einsteinagogo :)
:ot:

Not sure how you get images with them but a local group recently had a letter from Getty images claiming £1500 for an image used on a website. The group managed to get the fee reduced but still had to pay. Apparently Getty actively monitor the web for infringements, if I had images I wished to protect I would look to see how they operate
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Not sure how you get images with them but a local group recently had a letter from Getty images claiming £1500 for an image used on a website. The group managed to get the fee reduced but still had to pay. Apparently Getty actively monitor the web for infringements, if I had images I wished to protect I would look to see how they operate
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

It's getting increasingly difficult to know what images are actually free to use and those which are current enforceable copyright ... there are so many people who are cavalier about using images and then claiming them as their own and 'free to use' that it's getting to the stage where the only safe to use image is one you have created yourself !

Sadly, it's going the same way with music, my son, who is a composer, found a piece of his music that had been snatched from a TV series and used by someone on Youtube in the USA ... he's contacted them and basically been told to get lost ... it's difficult to see how he can enforce the copyright and get his royalties when the person infringing it clearly doesn't give a stuff !! The reality is that, had he been asked for permission and been credited, he would not have minded ..

Last edited:
It's getting increasingly difficult to know what images are actually free to use and those which are current enforceable copyright ... there are so many people who are cavalier about using images and then claiming them as their own and 'free to use' that it's getting to the stage where the only safe to use image is one you have created yourself !

Sadly, it's going the same way with music, my son, who is a composer, found a piece of his music that had been snatched from a TV series and used by someone on Youtube in the USA ... he's contacted them and basically been told to get lost ... it's difficult to see how he can enforce the copyright and get his royalties when the person infringing it clearly doesn't give a stuff !! The reality is that, had he been asked for permission and been credited, he would not have minded ..

If you did not take the picture its not yours to use freely. I am a professional photographer and its how i make a living. I have in the past taken people to court for the unauthorized use of my work. The courts will allow me to claim a % of anything made from the use of my photos which may have been used to generate cash for whom ever is using them, in some cases up to 30% of all sales.

It's getting increasingly difficult to know what images are actually free to use and those which are current enforceable copyright ...

Unless the originator offers a creative commons license it's best to assume images are not free to use. The 'Creative Commons" site offers links to other sites where there may be free-to-use content. http://search.creativecommons.org/

Copyright for images is the same as for any artistic work. Under current UK Copyright law:
The term of protection in the UK for an original written (literary), theatrical (dramatic) musical or artistic work lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years from the end of the year in which he/she died.​

If you did not take the picture its not yours to use freely. .

That's not altogether true ... there are a number of sites which permit free use of their images and the copyright laws are waived ... but, the difficulty is that you are taking on trust that the person posting the image has the right to do so in the first place.

Very often there is no significant commercial gain from the illicit use of copyright material and unless there is any chance of gaining some financial benefit from taking someone to court (and assuming that they have the means or assets to fulfil any award made by the court) then all it's going to do is cost you money.... and with the international nature of the internet how DO you successfully take someone in Khazakstan to court ?

If you did not take the picture its not yours to use freely. I am a professional photographer and its how i make a living. I have in the past taken people to court for the unauthorized use of my work. The courts will allow me to claim a % of anything made from the use of my photos which may have been used to generate cash for whom ever is using them, in some cases up to 30% of all sales.

A salutatory tale.....

An underwater photographer acquaintance took a number of excellent photographs ( real ones using 35mm colour reversal film!) on a WW11 wreck in the Northern Red Sea called the Thistlegorm... one was of me with a BSA single cylinder motorcycle inside the wreck.
This image was stolen after he had entered it into a photographic competition, and was used repeatedly by a number of UK and overseas diving tour companies.
He took the users to court claiming breech of copyright.
Their defence was that the photographic competition organisers owned the copyright, and they had given their permission for the use of the photograph.
My acquaintance claimed he had given no such permission, and in fact the photograph was listed in a library of photographic images he subscribed to, and details of Royalties were clearly displayed by the library.

My acquaintance won the court case, but as so often the judge said each party was to pay their own costs.

My acquaintance was now £6000 out of pocket... and then ( late 80's) this would have paid for quite a few diving trips to the most exotic of locations.

A salutatory tale.....

My acquaintance won the court case, but as so often the judge said each party was to pay their own costs.

My acquaintance was now £6000 out of pocket... and then ( late 80's) this would have paid for quite a few diving trips to the most exotic of locations.

An all too common occurrence .... win the case but no mechanism for recovering costs. I have a policy that, unless I am 100% certain that I can win in court I will never go to court ... too many times I've won only to find that the the legal bills ate most of the award as well as the costs awarded and in some cases the defendant (usually a business) were on their last legs and I got nothing ....off they went int0 liquidation and a fresh start under a different name !

Back