Dyslexic bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farbee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
By girls don't seem to read the books.

I wanted to give more brood space as they were running out of space, so put a second national box under to existing one. They have almost filled a super so put another one on as well.
I put it under as last year I put brood on top and it was packed with honey.

Well the queen has laid a little in the second (bottom box) but they have also stored lots of nectar down there. There is loads of space up top so why are they doing this? I guess I should just leave them to sort it out.

By girls don't seem to read the books.

I wanted to give more brood space as they were running out of space, so put a second national box under to existing one. They have almost filled a super so put another one on as well.
I put it under as last year I put brood on top and it was packed with honey.

Well the queen has laid a little in the second (bottom box) but they have also stored lots of nectar down there. There is loads of space up top so why are they doing this? I guess I should just leave them to sort it out.

Bees will always store in their BB, so that if weather is bad they have food - YOU want them to use the super - the BEES want their home to have stores first...

Bees will always store in their BB, so that if weather is bad they have food - YOU want them to use the super - the BEES want their home to have stores first...

I know but they are filling the brood box below the brood nest which unless I am dyslexic is not what they 'should' be doing. There is already quite a lot of honey around brood nest.

It's always a race between the bees and the queen - if she can lay as fast as they draw comb tehn they will store honey up top - if not they will carry on storing as close to the brood as possible and shift it out the way if the queen needs space

I think your title is right - bees do not read the books...and the books are not always right either...:(

There is loads of space up top so why are they doing this? I guess I should just leave them to sort it out.

The queen is not able to lay more. They keep their brood area and then put nectar to rippen everywhere.

Get a new queen. Sounds miserable if it cannot do better.

Hell will burst out if the bees start to read this forum. Don't let them do that.

The queen is not able to lay more. They keep their brood area and then put nectar to rippen everywhere.

Get a new queen. Sounds miserable if it cannot do better.

Hell will burst out if the bees start to read this forum. Don't let them do that.

Planning to requeen later.

Latest posts

Back