dry fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosie gill

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
really like this section as I have lots of stupid questions. :hairpull:
I have fondant under the crown board and the girls are happily munching one pack of it but the other pack has gone a little hard. can I rehydrate it? I thought I read somewhere that I can but not quite sure how. I have wrapped it well to protect it the same as the other pack but they have hardly touched that one.
I know its early to put it on but my hive was light due to bees not taking down the syrup earlier. I am beginning to realise how little they read the manuals and don't act in a way they should. (but perhaps that's my doing things wrong in some way!!)
Thanks for your help
Rosie

Why two packs at the same time? That is why the bees are ignoring one of them and it's gone hard. You can reconstitute it by a little warming and maybe a little water but the bees should be able to take it if it is above the cluster and they want/need it - and would probably be warmed enough from that source anyway.

I have reconstituted fondant before now - it's hygroscopic so 'wants' to absorb water. Try putting it in a tupperware type box with just a little water and leave for a good few days (but be careful as it can easily get a bit too gloopy.

Quick blat in a microwave...20secs per half kilo
Then knead it like mad

I have fondant under the crown board and the girls are happily munching one pack of it

It might be useful to note that bees do not eat fondant, the concentration of sugar is too high. Instead, there is this continual process of bees taking moisture to it, dissolving a little, and then passing it from bee to bee to get it stored in the combs. They typically do this when it is warm enough inside the hive to be active.

Thanks everyone for your advice
Am so impressed by how helpful everyone is.
Rosie

It might be useful to note that bees do not eat fondant, the concentration of sugar is too high. Instead, there is this continual process of bees taking moisture to it, dissolving a little, and then passing it from bee to bee to get it stored in the combs. They typically do this when it is warm enough inside the hive to be active.

I didn't know that.

It might be useful to note that bees do not eat fondant, ... passing it from bee to bee to get it stored in the combs. ..
This is just the opposite of what I have heard - which is why candy (or fondant) is given as winter food in preference to syrup. An experienced beekeeper told me that when bees can't forage and risk becoming starved he'll give them candy as they'll eat that and won't store it in the honey supers.

Which is it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This is just the opposite of what I have heard - which is why candy (or fondant) is given as winter food in preference to syrup. An experienced beekeeper told me that when bees can't forage and risk becoming starved he'll give them candy as they'll eat that and won't store it in the honey supers.

I've understood the same as you, that the bees will eat the fondant directly.

I've understood the same as you, that the bees will eat the fondant directly.

I think the majority of beekeepers accept that bees cope better with fondant in the winter rather than syrup ... there are those that leave fondant on all winter and those that feed fondant on demand as required.

Whether they actually 'eat' the raw fondant or add moisture and pass it between them to make it 'edible' appears to be something that there is not a definitive piece of research that confirms what they actually do with it. I have no doubt someone will be along shortly to prove me wrong.

However ... if it works, does it matter what they do with it ? It's a colony saver for starving bees ....EOS

... However ... if it works, does it matter what they do with it ? It's a colony saver for starving bees ....
Pargyle, I think it matters when you don't want the bees to store sugar in the honey combs, as in the case I mentioned above: bees on the heather but the weather does not allow foraging and the bees risk starvation - so it would be good to know for sure whether they store it or not.
Kitta

Pargyle, I think it matters when you don't want the bees to store sugar in the honey combs, as in the case I mentioned above: bees on the heather but the weather does not allow foraging and the bees risk starvation - so it would be good to know for sure whether they store it or not.
Kitta

Yes I would agree that some research to discover whether it is fast food or stores they use Fondant for would be helpful ....but I think, if you only feed fondant when it is needed in the late winter/early spring (not sticking a slab on for the whole winter) then the likelihood is that they will be using it, not storing it.

I was more commenting on whether the bees actually EAT fondant as it is or whether they have to reduce it to a syrup by adding water and passing it around BEFORE they eat it. But I take your point Kitta ...

Hi all,
Some bee farmers only feed fondant. Sugar syrup at 1:1 strength is feed in spring to stimulate brood rearing because the bees can eat this without doing anything to it. Fondant need diluting before it can be eaten or stored.
In Rosie's case it may just be that the second pack was not above the cluster and just needs shoving along. The heat from the bees will soften it, provided you have enough of a cluster in the first place.
Good luck with overwintering. It's a tense time for us all, but much worse with only one hive!

- so it would be good to know for sure whether they store it or not.

They are quite capable of storing fondant and do, or at least bee processed fondant ala Midland beek's post #5

Thanks MBC and Pargyle. I suppose if one removes the candy quickly when the emergency (in the summer) is over, then it would be unlikely to find sugar in the honey supers.
Kitta

I suppose if one removes the candy quickly when the emergency (in the summer) is over, then it would be unlikely to find sugar in the honey supers.
Kitta

I wouldn't have thought they'd be remotely interested in fondant if there is a flow of any kind on.
Honey is mostly sugars, indistinguishable from the sugar in fondant once its been inverted by the bees, so theres little point in worrying so long as you aren't purposefully trying to fill supers with feed to pass off as honey.

Thanks again MBC. Should there be such an emergency next summer, I'll feel more relaxed about it (but I'll still swiftly remove the candy when the emergency is over).
Kitta

Back