dry fitted my brood box but......................

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishguy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 over wintered nucs
I cut out all my measurements from the national plans I got on here from will Stewart but I seem to have top and bottom bee space in my brood box! Now im confused. When I put my frame flush with top of my box, I have an 8mm space at the bottom of my hive but there's also a space under my lugs between the lug and top hand rail. That's even with taking an extra 7mm off or sloping the top of both sides of the box where it meets the handrail.

Just wondering why this is, is this space supposed to be there or is there a mistake in tge plans.

I'll upload pics soon

Last edited:
Have you fitted the frame runners ? If not ,when you do, set them so the top of the frames are flush with the top of the box :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It rather depends on whether your plans were for (the more usual) bottom bee space or for (the less usual) top bee space. All mine are top bee space.

It rather depends on whether your plans were for (the more usual) bottom bee space or for (the less usual) top bee space. All mine are top bee space.

On my plans, it says a measurement of 207mm then 7mm cut inside (or slope)the 207mm. I didn't cut or slope the 7mm and im.still left with a space at the top.

Have you fitted the frame runners ? If not ,when you do, set them so the top of the frames are flush with the top of the box :)
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No I havent fitted any runners. Do the runners not fit flush with the top rail anyway. If I attach a runner flush in my own hive, my frame space is still going to be short from the top of my brood box.

Not all designs have runners fitted..

Your description is not too understandable; perhaps a pic or diagram would be worth a thousand words.

Sorry pic quality not that great

There are some clear photos of brood boxes with metal runners and what they should look like (bottom or top beespace) on the peak hives web site http://www.peak-hives.co.uk/tag/brood-box/

The web site has quite a lot of useful photos.

are the end boards at the bottom level with the side panels before you put on the rails , or does the plans say 7mm gap at bottom ? , there are some plans floating about which gives 7mm at bottom and says they are top bee space and you are to decide which one and forget the top or bottom measurement if that make sense

just had a look at the plans have you got a gap on the end panels and the bottom rail is flush with side panels if so lower the end panel so that its level with the side panels you should end up looking under neath rail level with end panel and between should be a gap or recesses hope that helps

ps that gives you top bee space reverse for bottom bee space

There are some clear photos of brood boxes with metal runners and what they should look like (bottom or top beespace) on the peak hives web site http://www.peak-hives.co.uk/tag/brood-box/

The web site has quite a lot of useful photos.

Thanks for that, thats cleared it up for me. When you look at the pic on this site where it mentions top/bottom bee space, it shows a pic where tge frame is sitting on a runner but theres a space between the lug and top rail. I just got confused as I thought the lugs where supposed to sit on the actual toprail going by the hives I've seen before. I'll have to buy metal runners now.

metal hanger straps work at a pinch for a diy fix for a runner. could be wrong name on the stuff comes in a roll diferent sizes and thicknesses. good stuff.

metal hanger straps work at a pinch for a diy fix for a runner. could be wrong name on the stuff comes in a roll diferent sizes and thicknesses. good stuff.

Would a plastering bead do?

I used plastic tile edging strip ... got mine from Wickes - there's a couple of different sizes available. Worked fine for me ...

Me too - quarter-round tile edging as recommended by Hedgerow Pete. It's soft enough that you can cut it with a sharp knife so that it gets maximum support from the woodwork.

CVB

I used plastic tile edging strip ... got mine from Wickes - there's a couple of different sizes available. Worked fine for me ...

A plastic tile stop bead, the metal ones for skimming are shaped the same. Im wondering can they be used thou would the holes on the larger end not have the bees propolis them

Me too - quarter-round tile edging as recommended by Hedgerow Pete. It's soft enough that you can cut it with a sharp knife so that it gets maximum support from the woodwork.

CVB

Have any of you 2 have pics of yours like this

tiling quadrant in use in a 14 x 12 brood box with TOP BEE SPACE.

Is there a bee space under the frame lugs? Just looks a bit tight in the pic.

If not, there should be.

RAB

Back