drone laying queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnfly

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
checking hives yesterday and found that i have three that have drone laying queens in them, anybody else found that they have dlq ?, these were queens that hatched in august last year at an out apiary and bought back to the home apiary for mating, i presume that they never mated properly, to late ?
the hives are still fairly stong and have located some Australian queens that will be here next week in gloucester so hopefully i will be able to requeen before they are to weak.

Going into 20 hives today for a quick check as first warm day with no stiff breezes. Will let you know if any dlq....all have pollen going in so something laying!

I think we have one, though I am not sure she is fully drone laying (haven't looked inside).

- There are drones around the hive, very early for drones.
- I can see drone caps in the debris below the OMF. There is "normal" debris as well, so I am hoping she is simply "misfiring" at this stage.

Long time to wait for a new mated queen.

I think these queens would of laid a few dozen eggs and then of been superceded if it had been earlier in the year.

Sorry to say but pollen being collected is no sign of everything being hunky dory... yet this illusion persists.

If you have a reasonable number of colonies then finding DLQ's is almost inevitable but that is one issue with numbers.

PH

I understand re pollen but seems to indicate something laying maybe......even that blasted DLQ.
But all mine going well-queenright and brood in all .....but one gave me a fright- I wintered it on a brood plus a super of food as quite a strong colony. Today they are on 11 frames each box and brood in both- I put a clean super on top of these two!!
I would have liked to nick the super with the brood as I had returned the queen to the lower box - BUT some K wing so I left them complete and treated with Hiveclean for now.

yes found the queens (marked) but seem small, thin , i will leave them in there untill tuesday and put the new ones in on wednesday.

Narrated AbuMusa:

AbutTayyah reported on the authority of a shaykh (an old man): When Abdullah ibn Abbas came to Basrah, people narrated to him traditions from AbuMusa. Therefore Ibn Abbas wrote to him asking him about certain things. In reply AbuMusa wrote to him saying: One day I was in the company of the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him). He wanted to urinate. Then he came to a soft ground at the foot of a wall and urinated. He (the Prophet) then said: If any of you wants to urinate, he should look for a place (like this) for his urination. :)

:patriot:

Sorry to say but pollen being collected is no sign of everything being hunky dory... yet this illusion persists.

We had a colony last year that singularly failed to raise a queen, despite being given eggs regularly.

It collected pollen right up until it was merged with another colony....

Hi all,

I have two colonies and one appears to have a DLQ or drone laying workers. This colony was a prime swarm from july last year and all seemed well in the Autumn, but the last few days have seen 10-20 drones flying, 5-10 dead drones outside the hive and drone larvae being ejected out of the hive(may have been chilled brood?)
The colony is very active, workers are bringing in alot of pollen.
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but what would be the best course of action for this colony if drone layers are found?
many thanks

Latest posts

Back