drone cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beenovice

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A simple question from a simple person, which probably has a simple answer.
Do drone cells from brood cycle 1, contain drones on brood cycle 2? I.e if you have a DLQ, do you need to scrap the comb?

Last edited:
Drone cells are drone cells unless the bees change the cells to worker brood.

Absolutely nothing to do with drone laying queens. In that scenario haploid eggs ar deosited in worker cells.

Scrap? Depends.

All the drone cells I have seem to be always drone cells! They never change to worker cells!
I think that's what you mean
E

Mmmmmm not so sure.
I'm sure bees re-work the comb depending on the colony's needs. I have seen lots of drone cells on the bottom of frames and on the outermost one at the height of the season and it seems to disappear at other times.
This might be more apparent in TBHs where bees make their own comb without foundation.

If you have a drone laying queen then you will almost certainly have drone eggs laid in worker cells. The capping will be domed, but the cell diameter will still be worker size, so a mated queen would lay worker eggs in these cells.

So in answer to your question, yes you could re-use this comb.

If you have a drone laying queen then you will almost certainly have drone eggs laid in worker cells. The capping will be domed, but the cell diameter will still be worker size, so a mated queen would lay worker eggs in these cells.

So in answer to your question, yes you could re-use this comb.

agree

Latest posts

Back