Drone breeding...?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And from my observations, every drone I've ever seen is quite clearly cider'd up.

So the Buckfast is less of a blood line and more of a bee bred with particular principles.

Buckfast sounds like it's almost become an open source brand or trade mark.

Yes but you should probably understand his methods better. I recommend that you read "Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey" where he explains a lot of what they did throughout the year.

Yes but you should probably understand his methods better. I recommend that you read "Beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey" where he explains a lot of what they did throughout the year.

I work in a bookshop and I've already ordered it! It seems to be in the publishing category of 'unreliable delivery'... I've put a chase on it and although I know I could get a copy off the internet, I get books at half price and am always reluctant to go to our online competitors who are doing a good job of screwing up the highstreet.

My discussions of breeding have pretty come from impatience waiting for the delivery of my book!

I work in a bookshop and I've already ordered it! It seems to be in the publishing category of 'unreliable delivery'... I've put a chase on it and although I know I could get a copy off the internet, I get books at half price and am always reluctant to go to our online competitors who are doing a good job of screwing up the highstreet.

My discussions of breeding have pretty come from impatience waiting for the delivery of my book!

Try Northern Bee Books, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge who published it.
He also wrote a book called "Breeding the honeybee" which might be closer to what you want. It is pretty old but its as good as any as an introduction

Try Northern Bee Books, Mytholmroyd, Hebden Bridge who published it.
He also wrote a book called "Breeding the honeybee" which might be closer to what you want. It is pretty old but its as good as any as an introduction

A lot of good solid time tested information and well worn tracks to follow in the methodology of bee breeding. Well worth reading.

Yeghes da

And cull the drones from nasty hives.

BJD

Best done at source, i.e. cull their mother, and then of course it's handy if you've previously bred a replacement.
I think the most important aspect of improving any stock is to trim off the unwanted tail, far more effective than merely making increase from the best stock.

Best done at source, i.e. cull their mother, and then of course it's handy if you've previously bred a replacement.
I think the most important aspect of improving any stock is to trim off the unwanted tail, far more effective than merely making increase from the best stock.

Yes, selection can operate at both ends of the distribution. This is why you shouldn't put up with poor bees and why the icing sugar brigade may actually be helping. Of course it looks rather different than what you expect 'helping the bees' to look like! Darwin quoted a greyhound breeder saying the key to success is to 'breed many and hang many.' This is abhorrent today, but its how we got to where we are.

Indeed... what I kind of meant (but kinda didn't say) is that people are culling or limiting drones from all their hives - when, at least from their best hives, they should be very much promoted lest this good genetic line has little chance to spread, apart from the next raised queen (and that is assuming that the next queen is replaced by one of her daughters and not from another colony).

But yes, I agree, trim off the tail... but I also agree with mtj, that selection happens at both ends, or a number of ends... and drones are one of those ends is all, and that on the surface they often seem forgotten about.

And on another note, hopefully the weather is going to be ok today for me to see how my Q? colony is... mated, unmated, or raising a queen from the eggs I put in 1 week ago... what's it gonna be?!

Latest posts

Back