Drone bees pupae kicked out the hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon.21

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve got 4 hives and noticed a pile of drone pupae last week from 1 hive only. I’ve seen them kick out mature drones last year in the autumn but not drone pupae. Is this due to the sudden change of weather getting colder that they’ve decided it’s not worth rearing drones any more ?

Attachments

• 6397AE29-7BDA-4B37-88A2-59B9598C9844.jpeg
    6397AE29-7BDA-4B37-88A2-59B9598C9844.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • EF95EFC6-A944-4B72-B533-D5C07D0D419F.jpeg
    EF95EFC6-A944-4B72-B533-D5C07D0D419F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 49B60E0C-010D-4C83-9168-0F1E52022C88.jpeg
    49B60E0C-010D-4C83-9168-0F1E52022C88.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
I’ve got 4 hives and noticed a pile of drone pupae last week from 1 hive only. I’ve seen them kick out mature drones last year in the autumn but not drone pupae. Is this due to the sudden change of weather getting colder that they’ve decided it’s not worth rearing drones any more ?

Quite possibly, I think. Drones (and drone brood as far as I recall) consume a lot of food. If the bees reach the point where it's clear they're not going to be a benefit then it makes sense for the survival of the colony to get rid of them all as soon as possible.

James

Quite possibly, I think. Drones (and drone brood as far as I recall) consume a lot of food. If the bees reach the point where it's clear they're not going to be a benefit then it makes sense for the survival of the colony to get rid of them all as soon as possible.

James
More room for late stores!

noticed a pile of drone pupae last week
Look closer at the dead brood and you'll see that the drone larvae wings are absent or deformed.

The colony has a high varroa load: what treatment have you applied?

Varroa prefer drone larvae because the 24-day gestation enables varroa to reproduce more successfully.

Good news is that the bees recognised the damaged larvae and evicted it.

Also worth checking hive for stores!

I have known that colonies will often remove brood if under severe stress. A few years ago one of my strong queen right hives with plenty of stores and varroa free, removed their drone brood mid summer. I could never figure out why!

I have known that colonies will often remove brood if under severe stress. A few years ago one of my strong queen right hives with plenty of stores and varroa free, removed their drone brood mid summer. I could never figure out why!
Hi. How do you do for honey up there?

Latest posts

Back