Drips

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Bottling has now become a chore these days and need to speed up the process as waiting for the drips to stop between jars takes forever. I came across a Maxant non drip valve and on You tube it does look very quick, has anyone used or own such a valve.

Reports say they are quicker but still not 'drip proof'.

Anything wrong with a spoon, to avoid dripping on the threads, or are you a 'one armed bandit'? :)

Honey gates drip less if pressure is kept on them to avoid any gap between the o ring and face of the gate i.e. your hand doesnt leave the tap until its closed and the thread tightened again.

We have a Settling tank with a Clean Cut Valve, I bought this tank some 30 years ago, I'm sure its a 'Thomas' from France, I saw it in the National Honey Show and ordered one there (no internet in them days). We have not used it since our return to beekeeping last year as it a 400lb tank and we have not had that much to bottle. What I remember of it was it was much better than the normal gate type.

Bottling has now become a chore these days and need to speed up the process as waiting for the drips to stop between jars takes forever. I came across a Maxant non drip valve and on You tube it does look very quick, has anyone used or own such a valve.

$179 I think I'll stick to the drips it's cheaper

I hold the jar under the valve rather than have it on a worktop - when full, close gate then lower jar right down in left hand whilst reaching for a fresh jar with right there comes a brief period when the drip elongates then separqates from the valve before the next one starts, that's when you slip the fresh one under then put full jar on counter, tyke fresh jar in left hand and operate gate with right.

I hold the jar under the valve rather than have it on a worktop - when full, close gate then lower jar right down in left hand whilst reaching for a fresh jar with right there comes a brief period when the drip elongates then separqates from the valve before the next one starts, that's when you slip the fresh one under then put full jar on counter, tyke fresh jar in left hand and operate gate with right.

Doesn't work for me I'm a leftie, I would mirror that technique. :sorry:

I keep an empty jar under the one I am filling. I quickly remove the jar I am filling when full and any drips go into the empty jar. The next jar goes under the drip at an angle to stop it going down the side of the jar, the last bits of the tub go into the ,drip, jar.
E

I keep an empty jar under the one I am filling. I quickly remove the jar I am filling when full and any drips go into the empty jar. The next jar goes under the drip at an angle to stop it going down the side of the jar, the last bits of the tub go into the ,drip, jar.
E

Same here. Simples.

Back