Drawn comb/drones - question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
I have had a drone laying queen that has laid up a few frames of comb with drones.

It was normal worker comb but the bees have drawn out the cappings and it is now very "bobbly".

I am going to replace the queen and supplement the nuc by swapping with emerging worker brood from another hive.

My question is:

Once the drone brood has emerged will the bees tidy up the comb and then use it for worker brood, or will it now only get laid up as drone brood?

If the later I dont want that much drone brood in my main hive as I already have a "drone frame" for varroa control. So how can I "rescue" the comb?

Thanks for advice - I dont have much drawn comb and I would rather not lose 3-4 frames of it.

I suspect it will revert back to worker comb as it has only been lengthened by the bees.

But you are in a good position to watch and see what happens in the hive.

Once the drone brood has emerged will the bees tidy up the comb and then use it for worker brood, or will it now only get laid up as drone brood?.

Upon finding a drone in a worker cell the bees enlarge each cell slightly, and this is how you get stunted drones. The comb is messed up for good - the bees cannot re-engineer it back to worker size and it should be removed from the hive.

Back